Return to Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfoxpt

Reaction score
I am finally returning to brewing after a prolonged layoff for life. When I last brewed in college it was a stove top extract method. I have now resolved to be more efficient and tackle an all grain system. Thanks to the wonderful help here at HBT, I am close to my first batch.

I completed a "dry" run today without leaks, measured dead spaces and boil times, and performed an initial cleaning. Below are the pics. I am sorry re: the cell phone picture quality. It is a cell phone and I had a few of the obligatory beverages while performing the testing. :drunk:

Thanks to all you provided advice. As suggested often, I read, read, read before taking the plunge. Any ideas for a first batch. I am leaning toward a Sierra Nevada IPA clone.:mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15114&stc=1&d=1269799758
The 3 tier setup, note garage is cracked open for ventilation.

3 tier brewery.jpg

Of course, I will post pics of a real time run when completed. I feel like I owe Denny some beer for all of his helpful posts. I hope the wooden rack is not too ghetto for him, but I wanted something I could easily take apart and store (all wingnuts baby):D

The garage isn't that clean, just the camera is that bad. There is a layer of sawdust on everything from a large project I just completed, 4 sets of cornhole boards. I will have to wipe everything down before brewing.

I finally found the time for a first brew day, and what a day it was. The kids won their lacrosse matches in the am, I completed the honey do lists, and still had time to brew. I'm starting with a Sierra Nevada IPA clone. exceeded the OG expected by hitting 1.064 allowing me to dilute the wort slightly leaving more beer at bottling. The coolers held there temps very well (only lost 1 deg in 60 min). The fly sparge was a little thin but didn't get stuck:)ban:). I'll have to get better at setting the ball valves. I did drop my sparge arm into the MLT once and forgot to bag the finishing hops resulting in a very slow transfer from the brew kettle to the carboy for fermentation. I am amazed at what a difference the proper equipment makes compared to 20 years ago. Pics to follow.:mug:

So I'm a little slow on organizing the photos in posts. I promise to get better. A few too many Nugget Nectars may be contributing to this. :cross:

Wow... I'm still an extract/mini-mash brewer and see this setup just inspires me to just go ahead and make the jump to all-grain. Thanks for the great pics and the inspiration!

Back