Recipe adjustment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm formulating a recipe for a batch I plan to make next weekend. It's a Guinness Foreign extra stout clone. The base recipe is from BYO, but as I am plugging the recipe into beersmith, I'm not getting the predicted numbers I'm hoping for, so am making some adjustments. I was going to add an extra 1/2 pound of 2 row and 1 pound of acid malt to the base recipe, and also increase the hops to 2oz of challenger. Then was also going to add 1/2 lbs of acid malt to the coloring extract portion as well. What do people think? I have also never done a starter before, but was going to try it on this batch. Can someone tell me what is the best amount of DME to add to the 3qt of water I was planning on starting with? This will only my 5th batch. Original recipe below.
Any and all comments are appreciated!

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout clone

5 gallons/19 L, all-grain; OG = 1.078; FG = 1.019; IBU = 40; SRM = 43; ABV = 7.5%

Ingredients:

13 lbs. (5.9 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
2 lbs. 2 oz. (0.96 kg) flaked barley
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) roasted barley (500 °L)
11.33 AAU Challenger hops (60 mins) (1.6 oz./46 g of 7% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or White Labs WLP004 (Irish Ale) yeast (2 qt./2 L starter plus 0.5 qt/500 mL mini-starter)
2/3 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step:

Brew pale base beer Mash flaked barley and 11 lbs. (5.0 kg) of pale malt for 60 minutes at 152 °F (67 °C) in 4.1 gallons (15 L) of water. Collect about 6 gallons (23 L) of wort and boil hard for 90 minutes, adding hops with 60 minutes left in boil. Shoot for a yield around 4 gallons (15 L). (Your SG should be around 1.093.) Cool wort, siphon to fermenter, aerate and pitch yeast from big starter. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).

Make stout coloring extract Mash roasted barley and 2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) of pale malt at 152 °F (67 °C) in 80 oz. (2.4 L) of water. Stir in CaCO3 until pH value is between 5.2 and 5.4. Mash for 45–60 minutes. Collect 1.5 gallons (5.7 L) of wort. Boil for 30 minutes to reduce volume to 1 gallon (3.8 L). Cool wort, siphon to 1 gallon (3.8 L) jug, aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68–72 °F (20–22 °C). Make stout Combine beers in keg or bottling bucket.

A pound of acid malt is alot. You'd definitely lower the pH of the mash, and make a distinct sour note to the beer, if that's what you're looking to do.

The CaC03 is hard to dissolve and I wouldn't do it like that.

Yooper said:
A pound of acid malt is alot. You'd definitely lower the pH of the mash, and make a distinct sour note to the beer, if that's what you're looking to do.

The CaC03 is hard to dissolve and I wouldn't do it like that.

I'm looking to just give it a tiny hint of sour. Think maybe I should just add a half pound to the small coloring portion? Or less even?

I'm looking to just give it a tiny hint of sour. Think maybe I should just add a half pound to the small coloring portion? Or less even?

Boy, I just don't know. I'm definitely no expert on that. I only use acid malt for pH adjustments and I don't know where "a little sour" vs "too much sour", sorry to say.

Back