Protein Rest for Dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamo123

Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to do an all grain dunkelweizen next weekend, I'm buying malted wheat and the supplier says it requires a protein rest. As far as I know protein rest increases clarity (not important for this style) does anyone have any recommendations on what to do here. Is the protein rest necessary? I can also get torrified wheat although I'm not sure how it's different. Any help appreciated thanks.

Ok so I'm going to do an all grain dunkelweizen next weekend, I'm buying malted wheat and the supplier says it requires a protein rest. As far as I know protein rest increases clarity (not important for this style) does anyone have any recommendations on what to do here. Is the protein rest necessary? I can also get torrified wheat although I'm not sure how it's different. Any help appreciated thanks.

Malted wheat is just that, wheat that has been malted. Depending on how well it has been modified tells you whether or not a protein rest is in order.

Torrified wheat on the other hand is unmalted wheat. It has been specially processed to break down quickly so you do not have to pre-cook it like raw wheat to get to the enzymes and starches

Torrified wheat will benefit from a protein rest.

with that behind you, what you should try is a double decoction mash on that dunkelweizen

Back