Pressure Cooker decoction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riromero

Reaction score
Once in awhile I pull a quick decoction when it looks like my mash temperature is declining too fast. I have a 12 quart pressure cooker whose vessel is about the right size for a quick 2 gallon boil. I know exactly squat about doing a real decoction mash. It's my understanding that it boosts the caramel flavors, among other things. I'm wondering, what if instead of just boiling a pulled decoction, I slap the pressure cooker lid on and crank the temperature up to the 15 psi boiling point? I wonder how this might affect the taste? Anybody tried this before?

I have, and I liked the result. But after listening to Jamil and knowing how things change brew to brew, even with the same brew, I don't have a side by side. I will say this, you will see a darker decoction with a pressure cooker. When I opened that lid the first time I saw a huge color difference. I used a smaller pan inside my p-canner (like a double boiler), so no stirring and no scorching. Then, I quick dropped the pressure with a wet towel and threw it in as fast as I could. I really liked the results of that beer (be-it decoction that did it or just an amazing brew). I do that recipe often and this was the best. I pulled three decoctions that day in the p-canner. All of them were very dry pulls using a kitchen colander to fill my decoction pot.

Latest posts

Back