Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Old" Grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
kinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Old" Grains?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question...I apologize ahead of time if I'm in the wrong area.

I started brewing 25 years ago, but I've taken a lengthy rest from it for the last five years while concentrating on my wine-making. Just prior to switching from beer to wine I purchased several different grains in bulk. I divided the bags into several sanitized 5 gal buckets, put lids on them, and stored them in my basement. These buckets have been sitting undisturbed for 5 years or so. Should I assume the grain is no longer usable, or should it be okay given the airtight, cool storage method?

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

That's a pretty long time even under the best conditions.

If you really want to try it, I'd make a small mash in a container or something and see how that comes out before doing a whole batch. Maybe even make a small 1-3gal batch to see how it tastes.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'd just assume it's not in the best shape flavor wise and make some starter wort with it. If you have a canner you could make a big batch and can it all for later use as stater wort.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know a few guys have told me that grain can last a long, long time assuming air-tight, light-tight conditions, plus cool temps. You very well may be fine. Was the grain whole or pre-crushed? I'd wait for one of the forum big-dogs to chime in before you throw it out.

Out of curiosity, what prompted the switch to wine? Just looking for something different?

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Trust your tongue. How do the grains taste? If they taste musty or flat, toss 'em. After 5 years, I'd say they are pretty much done for at this point, but you never know!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Trust your tongue. How do the grains taste? If they taste musty or flat, toss 'em. After 5 years, I'd say they are pretty much done for at this point, but you never know!
Right. Best thing I ever did was to start munching on different grains I wanted to use in recipes. Just chewing up a few kernels helped me get and idea of the underlying flavor I was going to add.

I'd imagine if your grains have absorbed any basement flavors, you'll pick them up if you give them a good chew.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Right. Best thing I ever did was to start munching on different grains I wanted to use in recipes. Just chewing up a few kernels helped me get and idea of the underlying flavor I was going to add.
Absolutely. Shame on you out there that don't taste your grain!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
hammer one

Recipes 

They will make great bird feed.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
andyb0527
Recipes 

Give them a try, what do you have to loose. If its bad you can just dump the beer.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Chupacabras
Recipes 

I have 3 and 4 year old malt that still makes a damn fine brew. I made a 10 gallon batch at the shop on Teach a Friend to Brew day with nothing but 3 year old grain and the sample at bottling was delicious. That said I had some 6 year old wheat that tasted nasty and I had to pitch it.

Here's a plug for my boss. Check Brewery Lane out if you live in Atlantic Canada.

Quick Reply