Oh Efff!!!! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GryphonBrew

Reaction score
I just smacked my smack pack and it broke!!! I dumped it's contents into a sanitized Pyrex measuring cup and covered it with plastic wrap.

Am I doomed?

Any advice?!?

I'd just make a starter. Any sanitized container should do, but I'd be sure to use it sooner rather than later.

I just smacked my smack pack and it broke!!! I dumped it's contents into a sanitized Pyrex measuring cup and covered it with plastic wrap.

Am I doomed?

Any advice?!?

How much did you lose? How big is the beer? Usually the cell count is sufficient to eat through a decent size brew, so if you didn't lose a large amount you shold be ok.

I'd just make a starter. Any sanitized container should do, but I'd be sure to use it sooner rather than later.

No time for a starter. Already been mashing for 5 hours due to another issue and may have been the reason for hitting the smack pack too hard. about the start boiling in about 5 minutes.

How much did you lose? How big is the beer? Usually the cell count is sufficient to eat through a decent size brew, so if you didn't lose a large amount you shold be ok.

Didn't loose much , have about 1/2 cup in the pyrex right now. OG is only going to be about 1.052, its a wheat beer.

Didn't loose much , have about 1/2 cup in the pyrex right now. OG is only going to be about 1.052, its a wheat beer.

I would pitch it and check on it in 24 hours. I wouldn't worry to much on that one as those packs usually have a ton more yeasties than needed especially for a medium beer. If it has no signs of fermentation in a day re-pitch another pack, but my guess is that will be bubbling away like normal in no time.

I would pitch it and check on it in 24 hours. I wouldn't worry to much on that one as those packs usually have a ton more yeasties than needed especially for a medium beer. If it has no signs of fermentation in a day re-pitch another pack, but my guess is that will be bubbling away like normal in no time.

Good stuff! I always freak out about my yeast and they always seem to come through.

Well I just pulled the first glass of this beer from the keg. It turned out fantastic! The yeast did everything they were supposed to do. I'll RDWHAHB next time.

Back