OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
Since I've went to AG I've been getting about a 1.060 reading on all my batches when the recipes call for 1.050 or so. I calibrated my hydro so I don't think that's it. I'd like to think I'm getting better efficiency but being new I'm wondering if something is off I'm not catching. I'm using a 10g round cooler with the looped braid like Palmer shows in his book. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

what efficiency have your recipes been designed for?

Are you using your own grain mill? When I went AG, I used a Barley Crusher, and found that all my OGs were high because my crush was that much better than the my recipes were written for (i was expecting 60-65% as a noob, ended up getting 75-78% most of the time).

My eff really improved with my barley crusher as well, Its pretty consistent at 80%.

How are you sparging? if you are doing a no-sparge you should expect 60-65% efficiency, Batch sparging you can expect 65-75% Fly sparging you can expect 75% to +80%.

Try to calculate your efficiency over the past few batches, and adjust your recipes for that efficiency, or a little lower.

When I started Continuously recirculating I started getting 80% efficiency fairly consistently so I had to adjust my recipes. Personal I like to pad my grain bill, so I design my recipes for 75% efficiency , and dilute it to my pre-boil target volume.

I drain the last of the mash and boil it with out hops and save it for starter's.

what efficiency have your recipes been designed for?

I'll have to double check but I want to say 75%. So when a recipe is designed for a certain eff. is that typically based on that brewers system?

Are you using your own grain mill? When I went AG, I used a Barley Crusher, and found that all my OGs were high because my crush was that much better than the my recipes were written for (i was expecting 60-65% as a noob, ended up getting 75-78% most of the time).

Yes I'm using a barley crusher too. If that's why it's a testimonial to the product.

How are you sparging? if you are doing a no-sparge you should expect 60-65% efficiency, Batch sparging you can expect 65-75% Fly sparging you can expect 75% to +80%.

Try to calculate your efficiency over the past few batches, and adjust your recipes for that efficiency, or a little lower.

When I started Continuously recirculating I started getting 80% efficiency fairly consistently so I had to adjust my recipes. Personal I like to pad my grain bill, so I design my recipes for 75% efficiency , and dilute it to my pre-boil target volume.

I drain the last of the mash and boil it with out hops and save it for starter's.

I'm batch sparging. Beersmith says from 77% to 82% eff. over three batches with another I'm about to bottle that's about the same I think. I thought maybe I had something set up wrong in that too as I'm still learning my way around the software. But it seems to be pretty consistent. How does one adjust down the efficiency by lowering the grain bill slightly?

How does one adjust down the efficiency by lowering the grain bill slightly?

You won't be adjusting your efficiency but more you can adjust for your grain bill to match your efficiency.

If you find that your efficiency is around 80% and the recipe you are reading is assuming 70% then you will need less grain to achieve the same OG than what is in the recipe.

Latest posts

Back