The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need Advice on Equipment, NEW to AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been brewing awhile and have settled on a process very similar to what Woodlandbrew says.
Just get yourself a 5gallon cooler (mine was $13) and a paint strainer bag (2 for $2 or so). People will say to get a 10g, and you can, or start with a 5 gallon, and add a second one later. The paint strainer bags that fit the white platic buckets fit a 5 galln cooler perfectly.

Treat your TOTAL volume of water needed, heat it, then dump the amount needed into your cooler for mashing. Do your mash runnings into another food grade white bucket, and then do a dunk sparge with the grain bag directly into the remaining water in the kettle. You can add a second batch sparge in the cooler if you want before the dunk sparge. My dunk sparge usually nets 1.015 that I add the mash runnings into. Boil as usual.

This system nets impressive efficiency in the 80s with easy work, and is only limited by the grain capacity of the cooler. I regularly make 1.070 Belgians, and it works perfectly for my needs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
c_osbourn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

i was thinking about doing the cooler set up but i already landed my hands on twon 15.5 kegs, so im prob going to lean towards the keggle set up.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_osbourn
i was thinking about doing the cooler set up but i already landed my hands on twon 15.5 kegs, so im prob going to lean towards the keggle set up.
Setup the keggles as your HLT and brew kettle. Use a 10gal round cooler as your MLT. You are going to need two burners anyway. The cooler will help to maintain mash temp for at least one hour. I prefer this than having to maintain temps with a burner. You can do a lot in one hour while mashing in. Next step, get a stand, pumps, controller, valves, silicone tubes, plate chiller, Randall, oh yeah...get a second job. Happy brewing!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
c_osbourn
Recipes 

NO kidding going broke already......ive heard that the kegs hold thier heat quite well..TRUE??

Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #15
kpmckay
Recipes 

Quote:
NO kidding going broke already......ive heard that the kegs hold thier heat quite well..TRUE??
I have a two vessel system and skip sparging. I cover my direct fired MLT with some towels and it maintains temperature within 1-2 degrees. My original system was more than 4x the cost of the system I use today. I've gone quite minimal with hardware and am much happier for it. YMMV.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

kpmckay has the right idea. I have considered a no sparge system.
I do not use kegs but I know that many wrap their ss/aluminum kettles with towels and other insulating materials. A quick look through the equipment or DIY forums might give you some ideas for materials.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
c_osbourn
Recipes 

So far my setup is going to be a 15.5 keggle with a turkey fryer burner and a custom BIAB, we shall see how that pans out

Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
So far my setup is going to be a 15.5 keggle with a turkey fryer burner and a custom BIAB, we shall see how that pans out
You will be very happy with your beer.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #19
c_osbourn
Recipes 

I hope so, when i get back going to take a stab at a nut brown ale AG, think this will be a good first AG beer.

Quick Reply