Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My new goal- $10.00 to make 5 gallons
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #31
captainkirk83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 131
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Um... it's not?

I respectfully suggest that for most of us here, "making better beer" is precisely the point.

A wittier person than I once wrote, "homebrewing to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish."
The goal of the op is to make a decent beer as cheaply as possible. I've never made or tasted a beer with grits but I bet it is much better than a case of Keystone, which sounds like the alternative.
__________________
captainkirk83 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #32
captainkirk83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 131
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post
I'd say your cheapest (and still flavorful) beer will be a Berliner Weiße.

You only need 1.038 OG (55% 2-row, 40% wheat malt, 5% table sugar - Plus ~1/2 lb uncrushed grain for souring your mash).

Mash (2-row and wheat) at 156F for 60 minutes, let it cool down to ~100F, add the grain (that contains the "beer-spoiling" Lactobacillus bugs) and keep at "Body temperature" for ~2 days. A beer cooler is great for this.
It will stink (keep it in the garage or outside!) but tastes much better than it smells.

Sample the flavor regularly until it will reach the sourness of your choice. After 2 days it will be sour enough. Now it's time for a mini boil (15 mins to kill the Lacto and give a tiny bit of bitterness to the beer). Add the sugar (~8oz for 5 gallon batch) 2/3 Oz 5% AA hops or whatever will give you about 5-6 IBUs of mini-bitterness.

Pitch an S-04 or S-05 or similar yeast at ~70F and ferment as normal light ale.

Can you get cheaper than that? Probably not!
Holy Crap! That sounds interesting but I don't know if i'm brave enough to try it.
__________________
captainkirk83 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Posts: 291
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

If you have natural gas to your home you might be able to convert from propane to natural gas. I don't know how much that would involve, ie: running a new gas line, changing orifices on burner etc., but natural gas is usually much cheaper than propane. Natural gas hookups to built in outdoor barbecues are not uncommon. Of course, there is the initial cost to consider. I hear you on the money being tight and 10 bucks for a 5 gallon batch sounds great to me.

__________________
okiedog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Not every one has the same REASONS to brew beer. Some folks try and perfect the system of beer making with many thousands of dollars in automation and such. Some folks like to experiment with different styles and such. All of the above is just fine and dandy

Myself and many others I think here just enjoy drinking a nice session beer that we have made. I have never brewed a beer over 4.5% and I never will because I do not like them. I do not brew beer for other folks and yet I heard one comment "why don't you save your money until you can brew a beer you like" Well maybe Bobbi does not want to save her money until she can afford to brew a beer you think she would like. Maybe she just wants to brew a inexpensive house beer to drink daily.

I think it is great that many people enjoy many different types and reasons to brew. But come on folks we are all brewers here and just because we have different reasons to brew does not mean that the brewing is any different.

__________________
Varmintman is offline
6
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #35
Squeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toms River, New Jersey
Posts: 54
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Not possible.

Even when doing a bulk grain buy(35ish a sack of 2 row), using minimal hops bought in bulk, minimal specialty grains and adjuncts, and yeast washing, slanting ect....the cost of DME for starters, propane(this is a big one), water(if you dont filter), star san, cleaners, caps, ect will put you over that limit quickly. Thats not even considering amortizing equipment costs.
Just brewed 12 gallons of 4% abv beer for $18 dollars including nat gas caps cleaners the whole 9. VERY possible. I pay .35 a lb for 2 row .41 a lb for specialty. Yeast cost me $1 dollar per 10 gallon batch, on average I use 4oz hops at .87 per oz. Thats $12 dollars for ingredients or $1 per gallon. My brewhouse however is 85% efficient so that helps.
__________________
Squeek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #36
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,083
Liked 2715 Times on 1771 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman
Not every one has the same REASONS to brew beer. Some folks try and perfect the system of beer making with many thousands of dollars in automation and such. Some folks like to experiment with different styles and such. All of the above is just fine and dandy

Myself and many others I think here just enjoy drinking a nice session beer that we have made. I have never brewed a beer over 4.5% and I never will because I do not like them. I do not brew beer for other folks and yet I heard one comment "why don't you save your money until you can brew a beer you like" Well maybe Bobbi does not want to save her money until she can afford to brew a beer you think she would like. Maybe she just wants to brew a inexpensive house beer to drink daily.

I think it is great that many people enjoy many different types and reasons to brew. But come on folks we are all brewers here and just because we have different reasons to brew does not mean that the brewing is any different.
+1. Well said.
__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #37
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,073
Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Just brewed 12 gallons of 4% abv beer for $18 dollars including nat gas caps cleaners the whole 9. VERY possible. I pay .35 a lb for 2 row .41 a lb for specialty. Yeast cost me $1 dollar per 10 gallon batch, on average I use 4oz hops at .87 per oz. Thats $12 dollars for ingredients or $1 per gallon. My brewhouse however is 85% efficient so that helps.
He said in the OP that he uses propane....

Beyond that your ingredient costs are ludicrous Want to explain how you get base malt for .35...and even better specialty for .41?

And while you are at it, how did you get enouch yeast cells for a 10 gallon batch for 1 dollar?
__________________
Xpertskir is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #38
Andrikos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Stuttgart, HBT FFL Nome de Guerre: Hopfen Bieropoulos
Posts: 401
Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkirk83 View Post
Holy Crap! That sounds interesting but I don't know if i'm brave enough to try it.
There's nothing much to it, really.
Other than the smell (I'd say concentrated stale bread, fermented chick pea smell) it's a pleasant experience...

It's THE best Summer beer in my opinion, so I always make a bunch in the winter so it'll be ready for the warmer months.
It's acidic, refreshing and highly carbonated.
Just like soda, but healthier!
__________________
Andrikos is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #39
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post
There's nothing much to it, really.
Other than the smell (I'd say concentrated stale bread, fermented chick pea smell) it's a pleasant experience...

It's THE best Summer beer in my opinion, so I always make a bunch in the winter so it'll be ready for the warmer months.
It's acidic, refreshing and highly carbonated.
Just like soda, but healthier!
My LHBS made some once but used second runnings for his. I will have to say it was really good. It was under 2% but really good
__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #40
Koffie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands
Posts: 119
Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Default

First: I'm from the Netherlands, so costs are way different overhere.
I assume (as others allready did) we are only talking about ingredients, not labor, water, gas and electricty.

The most cheapest beer, offcourse, would be a simple pilsener. You only need one type of grain (the most cheapest of all: pilsener malt) and one or two kind of hops.
Limiting down the variety of ingredients brings down the total cost of the beer.
Offcorse you should harvest any yeast from a source other than buying smackpacks, but I assume you have some yeast in the house or in in some bottle-fermented beer.

It also helps to buy the grain and hops in bulk. Overhere the general amounts for malt are 1 kg, 5 kg and 25 kg. When I buy a 25 kg bag of pilsenere malt, I pay 1,1 EUR per kg. If I buy one bag of 1 Kg of the same malt, I pay 2,95 EUR.
Same thing for Saaz hops: i I buy 1 kg Saaz hops I pay 36,75 EUR, when I buy the same Saaz hop in 100 gram it will cost me 5,85 EUR.

Last but not least about getting yeast: try to harvest from commercial beer, your own beer, trade some yeast-slurry with brewmates. I you really must buy yeast, use dry yeast.

Good luck with your plans

__________________
Koffie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mountmellick Irish Stout make 5 gallons? MicahB Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 06-11-2012 02:56 PM
Can you make 2.5 gallons of soda in 5 g. keg? duganderson Soda Making 5 10-05-2011 10:43 AM
Next time I brew 10 gallons I'll make a party out of it. chefchris All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 08-30-2009 05:16 PM
8 Gallons fresh maple sap, what to make? bandt9299 Recipes/Ingredients 10 03-12-2008 12:00 AM
Sabres Rangers Game 4 goal or no goal? turfguy1969 General Chit Chat 10 06-28-2007 06:03 AM