More Beer Bulk Grain Tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else ever notice that More Beer doesn't offer free shipping on their bulk grains, so in some cases, it might be advantageous not to buy them?

Example (shipping to my zip code in NM):
55 lbs British Pale (BULK) = $44.95 + $34.20 shipping = $79.15
55 lbs British Pale @ $1.30/lb + FREE shipping = $71.50

So, if you're buying grain for a particular recipe, but the price on that 55 lb bag of grain looks attractive, especially since you like to keep a little extra on hand...reconsider! It might be better to just buy what you need by the pound, as long as your order total is greater than the $59.00 free shipping threshold.

EDIT:
Here's the same example with shipping to my old stomping grounds in PA:
55 lbs British Pale (BULK) = $44.95 + $52.28 shipping = $97.23
55 lbs British Pale @ $1.30/lb + FREE shipping = $71.50

Logically, the further away from CA you get, the more advantageous free shipping becomes.

At my local brew mart, Ballast point , they offer a service where you can buy your grains at a bulk discount and they store them there, so you just pick up what you need when you need it. But I guess for most people there is not a Brew store near by this is not an option ,or if even this is a common practice for a Brew store.

I could imagine though that a storage bin could be constructed or bought for long term storage of grains. I think the main goal for grain storage is to keep them dry and safe from mice. I know at my local restaurant supply store they sell Large plastic Container that are air tight.

My LHBS charges flat rate $1.50/lb for any of their poorly stored grain. So, anytime I can average less than that for a fresher product, I'm very happy. More Beer's prices along with free shipping is usually worth it for me.

Yuri_Rage said:
My LHBS charges flat rate $1.50/lb for any of their poorly stored grain.

Good point, I guess the storage practices of the shop are a big factor in that equation. the good thing about Ballast point in that respect is they are a functioning Brewery, so they have a high turn over of grains because they are main consumer of the grain.

How long and buy what method is the best way to store grain?
I guess I should start a separate thread, Don't want to hijack yours.

skunked169 said:
How long and buy what method is the best way to store grain?
I guess I should start a separate thread, Don't want to hijack yours.
Not a hijack...it's all relevant. You can store grain for several months as long as it's done properly. I prefer to store mine uncrushed in vacuum sealed bags. I keep it in a closet at room temperature, but it doesn't hurt to store it in a cooler environment (like the fridge or even freezer).

Back