metallic taste to my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasben

Reaction score
Any ideas why? First beer that's turned out like this...been in the bottle for two weeks...also its overcarbed...they blow up foam everytime I open one ...

Any ideas why? First beer that's turned out like this...been in the bottle for two weeks...also its overcarbed...they blow up foam everytime I open one ...

I had a metallic taste in an ESB once that used dark grains. I attributed it to my water chemistry and slight oxidation in conjunction with the dark grains. It wasn't terribly metallic, but definitely there.

I've had this a couple time over the years. My first thought was the keg I used, but I've ruled that out. I use the same water for every brew, so that isn't the issue. My only suspicion is that it might be related to soaking some of my parts in Oxyclean too long and then perhaps I didn't rinse them as thoroughly as I should have. Perhaps there was some residue that a simple rinse didn't remove.

No aluminum in my system.

Aren't gushers usually some kind of infection? Even if you did use Aluminum It's doubtful that you would Metallic flavors from that unless it was your very first brew with it and you didn't cure the pot. Aluminum is fine for brewing, let's not start that discussion again.

Did you sample before bottling? if so was the taste there?

Drink it warmer?

Ommegang chocolate indulgence had the same problem; drink too cold and it's very metallic, drink it around 60f and it's really good with no metallic taste.

Back