Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Looking for a Belgian Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
ASassyBeerChick83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Looking for a Belgian Recipe

Hey! Hey! Hey!

The hubby & I are just about to bottle our first HOMEBREW!!
We are really excited!! For the first kit, we used a Munton's Bock Kit... It's still in the fridge fermenting & we are bottling her promptly Wednesday night - Day 16 after BREW DAY!

This, ladies & gents - is our FIRST Bock Brew Don't know what we are gonna name her yet... Gonna make sure she has a good taste, i guess before we name her...

Here is the deal... We are looking for an AG Belgian recipe to try next. They hubby & I have been researching & watching AG videos for a couple of days now, contemplating which brew should be our next... The hubby really wants a Belgian AG recipe we can try - maybe a BIAB. Anyone think they can help a girl out? We have a 5-gal Brew Pot & a 5-gal carboy... We have a fridge -

with a temp. control... We can set our "fermenter" to any temp we desire... Anyone have a basic Belgian recipe that we can try? Maybe tweak it a bit & remake one - i would lik,e to start do some extract brews after a couple of AG.
Any help would benefit my learning of BELGIAN BEERS!

.... Okay, Off to More Beer Drinking so I can Bottle MY First Brew this Week!

Peace. Love.. & Beer.
CHEERS!

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 397 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 127

What kind of Belgian? Do you like tripels or BDSA's? Big difference.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Natethebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Make sure the gravity has stopped dropping before you bottle. Bottle when it's finished. 16 days should be good, but I'd check the gravity before pulling the trigger.
for a Belgian a lot of it's unique character comes from yeast and spices.
I'd start out with a basic wheat or pale ale recipe.
something like
5 Lb pale malt
2 LB Munich malt
1 Lb Wheat malt
0.25 Lb Biscuit malt
0.25 Lb flaked oats
0.5 Lb unrefined sugar or honey

For hops I like Hallertau and Kent Goldings ( a little out of style I know)
something like 1 oz at 60 minutes 1/2 at 10 and 1/2 at 5.

Any of the following spices would work.
Coriander, orange zest, grapefruit zest, black pepper, chamomile, sage, basil, or ginger.
small amounts of the above are fine.
I like Wyeasts forbidden fruit or belgian ale strains.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Starting on a muntons kit but controlling temperature with a fridge? You're ahead of 95% of all homebrewers, I'd say. Definitely jump right into AG with BIAB. I started that way after two extract beers and haven't done anything else- no 3-vessel system for me (at home at least). Read up on mashing and a little bit of the science (so you know what you're doing when you change things) and you're good to go.

It's hot in Texas right now- I'd say do a medium gravity Saison with Wyeast 3711 or White Labs WLP566- they are the less-finicky strains. Ferment it outside of your fridge and let it get HOT HOT HOT. Makes for a tasty saison.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf
What kind of Belgian? Do you like tripels or BDSA's? Big difference.
Ummmm...... I am not really sure.... We like a couple... But I don't know which ones... Fat Tire? Is that one? Any who... I don't know if we would really like the banana flavor.. Might be a little too sweet for our buds.. I would prefer the spice & clover taste..

Anyone care to explain the difference between Tripple & BDSA Belgians!? In a learning curve...

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Belgian beers typically have crazy fruity, phenolic, estery flavors and aromas created with the yeast- flavors like clove, spice, pepper, fruit and other stuff. They also often have pretty simple grainbills, a lot of pilsener, maybe some wheat, maybe some sugar. Dark beers typically just use very highly kilned malts for their color.

Two belgians you can get pretty easily in the styles you mentioned are Chimay White (a tripel) and Chimay Blue (a Belgian Dark Strong Ale). Saison Dupont and Ommegang Hennepin are pretty common Saisons, a belgian farmhouse style (my favorite), and a few breweries make other beers with belgian yeasts that don't necessarily fit a style (Stone's Cali-Belgique IPA comes to mind- it's exactly the same as their standard IPA but fermented with saison yeast).

Fat Tire is an American Amber ale that's very lightly hopped, with a big biscuit malt character. Most Belgian beers are about as far from that as you can get (though they do tend to also be lightly hopped).

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
Belgian beers typically have crazy fruity, phenolic, estery flavors and aromas created with the yeast- flavors like clove, spice, pepper, fruit and other stuff. They also often have pretty simple grainbills, a lot of pilsener, maybe some wheat, maybe some sugar. Dark beers typically just use very highly kilned malts for their color.

Two belgians you can get pretty easily in the styles you mentioned are Chimay White (a tripel) and Chimay Blue (a Belgian Dark Strong Ale). Saison Dupont and Ommegang Hennepin are pretty common Saisons, a belgian farmhouse style (my favorite), and a few breweries make other beers with belgian yeasts that don't necessarily fit a style (Stone's Cali-Belgique IPA comes to mind- it's exactly the same as their standard IPA but fermented with saison yeast).

Fat Tire is an American Amber ale that's very lightly hopped, with a big biscuit malt character. Most Belgian beers are about as far from that as you can get (though they do tend to also be lightly hopped).
Thank You!! Well, then, maybe I need to do some research on either we want to go with the Belgian or if we want to go with the something else... Gonna let the hubby read up on this & see what we decide!! Hummmm.... Decisions. Decisions.

- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

.... Thoughts on any Belgian Blondes??

- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 397 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 127

If you are looking for spice and clove, maybe you want a Belgian wit. Something like Hogaarden.

Try a few of the brews suggested and decide what you are looking for and we can get you a good recipe.

Look around the recipe part of this forum and there are a lot of good recipes there. You just have to secide what you want. Belgian is not a very good description. Too many different Belgian styles.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
bdh
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Another thing to look out for is if you want to do a 5gal AG BIAB batch in a 5gal brewpot you'll need to make sure that you have enough pot space for all the water in your mash. One good thing about Belgians is lots of recipes use candi sugar which lowers the amount of mash water you'll need since the candi sugar replaces some of the grain bill.

A personal favorite recipe of mine is over on hopville.com by a guy named Brewer Mike for a Ommegang Hennepin Saison clone. It's a fairly simple beer to brew for a first AG and has come out delicious the few times I've made it. Hopville is doing some server maintenance right now, so I can't give you an exact link, but it shouldn't be too hard to find if you go to the Saison recipe page over there.

Quick Reply