Long Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourHopHead

Reaction score
I brewed my last beer on 4/4/08 and it is still bubbling thru the airlock. I periodically checked the SG and it was still to high, so I shook it up and let it sit. Going on 2 months now and it is still going... Anything to worry about or ride it out?

thx

What kind of beer, OG, Fermentation Temp, predicted FG..

Some more information needed for someone to answer you

if your gravity readings are consistent then i'd say it's done. What was your most resent gravity reading?

I checked it about 2 weeks ago and it was 1.020. It was bubbling every 5-10min when I left for work tonite. I will take another reading tomorrow or WED.

Im no master brewer but i dont know why it would take that long. Low O.G.......... Sounds to me like crap yeast. What kind of yeast did you use? Did you use a starter?

My first all grain was an ingredient kit I got from a mail order place. Even though I tried getting icepacks, the yeast wound up being too warm. Having never used Wyeast, I tried it anyway and wound up with the same problem. Since it did seem to ferment a little, I tried racking to secondary and then make a starter out of the spent trub. It really woke up in the starter! I've since read that you can get contaminated strains of yeast that way......I certainly wouldn't culture the spent yeast, but waking it up did seem to get my gravity down while fermenting in another container. Did you oxygenate the wort before pitching? You may have already had enough fermented beer for an offtaste oxygenating now....but I have also oxygenated while repitching yeast (if the gravity isn't low). 1.020 may be too low for that: maybe pitching fresh yeast with starter could be a ticket.

Back