KitchenAid grain mill attachment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cost of mixer $400.00
Cost of Grain Mill attachemnt $200.00

Look on wife's face when you blow the motor of said mixer-

011908-2030-poissonimag21.jpg

Priceless.....

You might want to look at the links in the similar threads box below, this comes up every 6 months or so, very few people want to risk the cadillac of mixer's when for 150 bucks you can get a barley crusher, or for 20 bucks you can get a corona OR modify a pasta maker to mill your grain.

I have a corona that works just fine. And I spent $25 on it. Not bad if you won't mind doing it by hand. The guy who runs the LHBS down the road said using a drill with a corona could risk grinding down the plates. Is that true?

I have the same mill and it works great. I bought it for flour but did not have time to grind at my local store, so I ran t through the mill and it was just as good, with no flour in the mix.

You can get it cheaper on amazon.com. Plus find a local farmers grain suply and get 50 pounds of hard wheat for $10.

I love it and use it alot. I know grind all my beer grains with it. Just make sure the setting is set to the most course setting.

I have been using this attachment for the past months - on my last 4 batches to be exactly.

KitchenAid_ATCHMT_5GMA_.jpg

First, I've choose this mill because my wife has such mixer and since I have a problem with space (let's assume that my wife doesn't seem very happy with all my beer equipment) it was one of the best alternatives for me.

The attachment is from a good quality (stainless steel(!) - I know in the past they're usually selling plastic - i Would probably don't advise you to go with that) and the grind is a little bit thinner than I was used to it - I used in the thicker selection. It performs great.

It fits in a small box that it can be store easily.

After reading some reviews here, that you can blow up the motor, I normally grind 3-4 pounds at time, waiting 5 to 10 minutes to grind again. - just for precaution.

The down side is the size and therefore the time to grind 15 pounds. But I really appreciate it more than to receive the grains grained from my local homebrew store. I homebrew for fun, it is part of the business.

Of course, if you have planty of space, or if you don't have the mixer, I recommend you to go to "homebrew" grain mills.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might suggest that regardless of what you mill your grain with that you do not do it in the vicinity of your brewing, unless it is done the day before. Otherwise, airborne dust that are infected with bacteria seem like a great way to ruin a fresh batch of wort.

I might suggest that regardless of what you mill your grain with that you do not do it in the vicinity of your brewing, unless it is done the day before. Otherwise, airborne dust that are infected with bacteria seem like a great way to ruin a fresh batch of wort.

I am guessing you have never brewed beer or have no understanding of sterilization. When you make your wort you then boil it usually for 60 minutes or so. Any contaminates will be killed via sterilization. Bacteria pre boil is not a problem. Sanitation is only necessary post boil.

You might want to read what I had posted again. The lactobaccilus that is is rampant on the grain particles becomes airborne as dust and takes a long time to settle-including on equipment that has already been sterilized or wort that has cooled.. Do as you wish, champ.

Back