Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gaps for Your 3-Roller Mill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Pelikan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Gaps for Your 3-Roller Mill?

I have Dr. Crankandstein mocking me up a stainless 3D. For those of you with the three-roller models, what do you have your gaps set for? I was thinking of having the Doc set them at the ideal gaps right from the get, so I don't have to worry about buying feeler gauges and all that. Looking for gaps that provide the best efficiency for all around use...

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have the adjustable 3 roller one and I adjust it all the time depending on my grain bill. I typically mill by sound. I like to mill as fine as possible. I will adjust my mill as it is running until I hear it start to complain and then back it off a little. That being said, with all this adjusting, mine does occassionally get misaligned. I just realigned it last weekend at 0.036. Worked great.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 12-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

According to the Doc, this is set at .070 for the top rollers and .045 for the bottom roller. I guess based upon what you're saying I'll just keep it at the factory settings. I'm looking for the best all around setting...not trying to squeeze every drop of efficiency out of it (at least not yet).

Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
derekm
Recipes 

I started at .039 and had 83% eff. but also had an occasional stuck sparge. I have settled a 0.42 and get 80% eff. and no stuck sparges yet. Get the guages at an auto parts store. They are 4 bucks and you will need them. I find the set screws will loosen over time or demanding grain like wheat and gap will move. I have made it a habbit to check the gap every few batches. I have been meaning to put some thread lock on the set screws but have not done it yet. I'm using the monster mill mm3 which is the same mill. Derek

Old 12-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What is a stuck sparge, exactly? That aside, I'm assuming the stock .045 gaps be satisfactory in preventing this? I don't think the Crankandstein 3D has set screws to loosen...which mill do you use?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
derekm
Recipes 

A stuck sparge is when finely crushed grain makes its way around or through your grain bed filter, in my case a sabco false bottom, and stops or restricts the flow of your wort out of the mash ton.
I have the same mill in steel. Monster Mill and Crankandstein are made by two business partners who went seperate ways and both still sell the same design. When you get your mill you will see the set screws hold in place the gap set by turning the two adjusting wheels on the ends of the rollers. I love the mill but it is not bullet proof. Nothing a drop of loctite (not the permanent type) can't fix.

Quick Reply