SS Brewtech Grain Mill gap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbflyin

Reaction score
Curious what gap setting you’re using for the SSBrewtech grain mill. Change it for which malts? I’m new to milling and saw sieve test results indicating gap -1/.045in/1.15mm as the best. I ran 2-row through various gaps to check. That .045in gap produced too much powder and stuck mash (Dingmans Belgian Pilsner) even with a couple large handfuls of rice hulls. Because of roller size? I checked the roller gap and they are parallel and accurate. I next used 2/.063in/1.61mm next and while it worked well. I may tighten the gap to 1/.057in/1.46mm next batch. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• E9127AFB-EAEC-43A2-A5FA-13F11B06D8D1.jpeg
    E9127AFB-EAEC-43A2-A5FA-13F11B06D8D1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0258.MOV
    40.1 MB
Last edited:
That crush looks like it should for that gap imo. Too high of a speed when milling may cause excess dust and/or a less uniform crush. I think the sweet spot for many is around 200 rpm.

I recently started conditioning my grain prior to milling and it's made a big difference in controlling the dust. Worth looking up.

That crush looks like it should for that gap imo. Too high of a speed when milling may cause excess dust and/or a less uniform crush. I think the sweet spot for many is around 200 rpm.

I recently started conditioning my grain prior to milling and it's made a big difference in controlling the dust. Worth looking up.
Thanks. I’ll condition on the next batch.

I got a helpful response from SS Brewtech regarding their grain mill.

Thanks for reaching out. Because our Grain Mill uses a different type of roller design (machine fluted rollers instead of knurled rollers) a lot of "conventional wisdom" about homebrew mills doesn't translate directly over to ours. We recommend you start on the "0" gap setting and work from there if needed. Most people will live between +2 to -2. I personally have mine set at +1. If you feel like you experienced too fine of a crush at -1, you may want to try +1 as well to see how that works!

Back