equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmzala

Reaction score
So I have decided to switch over to all grain. Here are my questions for the experts. Oh yeah I am going to start with 2 coolers and BK, 3 tier.

1. Can you build a system cheaper than buying the "kit" at Midwest?

Deluxe All Grain Kewler Kit- 10 Gallon :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

2. How much grain can you fit into these I know that even heavy 5 gallon batches won't be a problem but what about 10 gallon?

Thanks and cheers :mug:

put in equipment section could a mod please delete

If you are thinking 10 gallon you need a 15 gallon boiler and a 15 gallon cooler/mash-tun. Without extra room you get weaker beers + less efficiency due to room in the mash-tun and boil-overs in the boiler.

I'm not an expert.

I have done a lot of all grain batches.

your budget is up to you. I bought my first mash tun from midwest, same kit you're looking at minus the HLT. I use it to measure water now.

If you're looking to work on a budget, you can certainly do better.
Batch sparging is definetly something to consider, I did around 5 batches with the original MW MLT, fly sparging, and averaged around 70% efficiency.
granted I was new to all grain. I love to tinker, and have tried several different setups.

I'm currently using a 58qt coleman extreme with a SS braided line and running around 80 to 85% efficiency. all parts included I have around 90 dollars invested in it. It can handle a decent OG 10 gallon batch

a good pot and a good burner are good investments, 15g is good for 10 g batches, I'm using a converted stainless keg.

I've been drinking tonight so forgive the rambling.
you'll love all grain, I've never looked back

58braid.jpg

The advantage of buying a kit from midwest, or any retailer is that all the work has been done for you. That's what you pay for, in addition to material costs. If you want to DIY, then you save on the labor...that is really the only difference. For some people that's money well spent since they don't do the DIY thing...but for me I LOVE building brew stuff almost as much as I love brewing. Yes, you can build the same setup or an even better one for less. However, be aware of this if you choose to DIY:

1. You'll need to spend some time reading and researching, or a lot of money doing it twice.
2. You will learn the fittings section of all hardware stores in close vicinity by heart...you will dream about pipe fittings and washers.
3. If you really look for deals, craigslist is the way to go but it takes time to wait for that deal.
4. Your system will be totally unique and perfect for your needs (eventually :D)

Personally, I bought 3 sanke kegs; one from CL, two from other homebrewers. One I had cut by a friend and that was $60. I bought my own angle grinder which cost me $20 with cutting discs at Harbor Fright. I also drilled out the hole for a ball valve and bought weldless fittings for all. For the entire sanke keg system I spent around $240, which includes a weldless thermometer and sight glass for the hot liquor tank. It was a few hours of work, but it was a ton of fun!

I've taken RDWHAHB a little too seriously tonight...so take this FWIW.

I bought a 10g MLT that was already converted because I was too lazy to do it myself...and I already regretted it after the first few batches. It came with a false bottom and I switched over to a SS braid after two batches because of slow run-offs (I batch sparge FWIW). Do yourself a favor and buy a 10g cooler, make yourself a bulkhead valve, make your own braid/manifold and enjoy how much fun/easy AG can be. (and spend the saved money on your SWMBO)

Now w/ all that being said...I wish I had gone w/ some kind of HERMS/automated system from the very beginning. Of course like any other hobby, it's a good idea to gauge your interest, but it's really annoying having to constantly upgrade your equipment. That's why I always have to recommend equipment that can be upgraded in the future if/when it becomes desirable. :)

Hope my spelling was OK. ED's apfelwein is kicking my ass tonight! :)

Its 6 am in the morning here and I am drinking Cokes' so no rambling from me :)

I built my own cause I like too, granted I like to do 3 gallon batches but I bought a 5 gallon cooler from Home depot along with the parts for the bulkhead and ball valve for under $ 50. Our local grocery store had a 36 qt (9 gallon) enamelware pot for 20 bucks. A little drilling and welding and it now has a ball valve that cost 12 bucks. I had a turkey frier but I use the stove in the house, it has a Power Burner that kicks butt and will boil my 5 gallons pretty quickly.
Do your research and if you like to build, you can save money. Bobby M has some good ideas, opinions and posts about building stuff. If you aren't into it, buy it. Either way you will like the All Grain process.
I think I like brewing the beer almost as much as drinking it.

If you have more money than time, or if you want something that is "plug and play", the kit you mentioned is decent and will certainly work.

IMO, I never really understood the benefit of a cooler HLT unless you plan an fly sparging. Or if you power the cooler HLT w/ an electric element, than you have something. For a first all grain, one cooler mash tun, a large kettle, and a pail (any pail) is really all you need.

Just about any cooler will work fine for batch sparging and can be converted easy peasy like shown in this link:

Simple All Grain Brewing - German Pilsner

another good one on easy batch sparging

dennybrew

Or Bobby M pretty much says all you need to know! The single kettle, single burner method scroll down about 3/4 page. This is an excellent write up. However, you can also transfer to your kettle prior to the final draining of the mash tun, and collect your final run-off directly to your kettle. Or if you have the pail space, or this confuses you, just collect all your wort in pails and transfer to your kettle as Bobby suggest.

http://www.suebob.com/brew/Bobby_M all grain primer.pdf

That should keep ya busy for a while....happy brewing!

Mike

Oh and god bless ya for wanting a three tier, (don't we all, lol) but IMO that is a bad idea unless you are heating the HLT in place. Climbing a stepladder w/ a hot pot of sparge water to feed a cooler HLT doesn't sound like fun. I would suggest starting out using a "pitcher pump" like Denny until you get comfortable. A "pitcher pump" is just a 2 qt' pitcher that you use to ladle sparge water to your mash tun...takes about a minute.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I would say that DIY is usually my cup o'beer, the only reason I asked about buying first is the cost, I haven't been to the box stores for prices on the coolers, just checked the web for deals and the coolers where a little pricey I thought. although sometimes the store is cheaper. The 3 tier is only because I can I have the welder, cut off saws, grinders, etc and a brother that can get me steel until those coolers turn into a system something like Pols. That thing is SWEEEETTT!!!!!!!! just spendy. So the 3 is to use until I can afford all the pretty electronics and elements.

Back