efficiency WTF moment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm very perplexed. My efficiency dropped from a regular 90% to less than 65%. I hadn't brewed in quiet some time and I started brewing again 1.5 years ago. AT that time I rebuilt my DIY grinder and concurrently had my hydrometer break and had to replace it.

well I've fiddled with the grinder continuously, messed with sparge techniques and am starting to think either my hydrometer is way off or it really is the grinder. Thing is, the crush looks fine.

The beer tastes fine and seems to have more alcohol than my hydrometer calcs say it should. this is driving me crazy.

Another thing. my grains seem drier than normal (kept in sealed containers) and seeing as it is as dry as arizona here, perhaps their is a water issue during mash? grasping at straws here. I've been doing AG since 2004/05 and have never had this problem.

It's probably the crush. Although you say it looks good the change in efficiency suggests that and what I would guess as the reason is what you said about it being dry. As the grain gets more dry, it gets harder and that makes it tough to crush/grind. Try wetting the grain you are going to crush (give it some time after you wet it so the moisture soaks in a bit) and see if your efficiency doesn't go up.

It's probably the crush. Although you say it looks good the change in efficiency suggests that and what I would guess as the reason is what you said about it being dry. As the grain gets more dry, it gets harder and that makes it tough to crush/grind. Try wetting the grain you are going to crush (give it some time after you wet it so the moisture soaks in a bit) and see if your efficiency doesn't go up.

I've even ran the grain through 3 times in a row and I also tried wetting it before hand. Though maybe for not long enough.

Are you sure the new hydrometer is accurate?

No. Going to compare with someone else's soon.

I will be following this thread closely. I have been AG Brewing since 2005 and have in the past 4-6 months been dealing with the same Efficiency issues. I went from a constant 85-90% down to 65-72%. WTF!!! Only thing I can come up with right now are the rollers on my mill. I have had the mill for 8 years, and the rollers are worn smooth. So, I'll be buying a Monster Mill soon. Also, I want to calibrate my thermo pen to insure that I am hitting my temps. So yes, I feel your pain...:confused:

Well i brewed last week and i set the crusher to fine. These deep knarled teeth on 1.5" rollers reakly tear up the husks compared to my diy 3" and 2" roller combo that had a gritty surface rather than deep knurls.

Made a big beer (18 plato) and hit 77% effiency, even after s stuck mash from hell. Took me 4 hours to finally start the boil. This beer probably fits in the new cascadia/American imperial black ale catagory but is more brown than black. 800 grams of hops.

Im going to have to do some experimenting with crusher gap. I think i had it at .030".

Back