Effect of rapid fermentation on aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
It seems to me that the more vigorous the CO2 bubbling during fermentation, the more aroma will be "washed away". So I am experimenting with lower fermentation temperatures and present batch I tried to hold close to 15 deg C.

Beer is a pale bitter with cascade the bittering hop and nelson sauvin providing
flavour and aroma.

Yeast is safale 04 hydrated for 20 mins in 200 ml water, then 1 heaped teaspoon of brewing sugar added, vigorous stir to aerate, left until a 3 inch head formed, arond 45 minutes.

I think fast fermentation due to the high temp does not wash away aroma from beer with vigorous CO2 bubbling.High temp causes producing many undesirable by-products like fusel alcohols so that the good aromatic compounds are pushed back by those by-products.However also some of good ones are denatured as a result of reacting with new compounds.But in my opinion,We do not feel good aroma primarily due to the predominance of undesirable by-products not because of lack of the aromatic compounds.

I think the fermentation character should be the driving reason behind the temperature of the fermentation. If you're worried about losing hop aroma while at the best fermentation temp, adding slightly more aroma hops seems like a really simple solution.

Back