Easy All Grain efficiency formula?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i am getting ready to do my first all grain batch and i am looking for a simple way to figure out my efficiency?? I know there are tons of threads but just thought that it never hurts to ask. And i want to have all my ducks in a row before i attempt it. Thanks for any and all help

I use BrewPal for my iphone (great program BTW). It has a function that will calculate efficiency.

(sugars out) / (sugars in) * 100%

Your (sugars out) is easy to calculate: volume of wort * (OG - 1.000)

For (sugars in), you need to know the potential of each of your grains (i.e., 1.036 for many base malts), and then multiply it by the weight you are using of that grain.

It's going to take quite a few batches before you can get a reliable calculation on your brewhouse efficiency. You should use a low number, 60%-70%, to calculate the grain bill for your first few batches. That way if your gravity comes up too high you can dilute and have even more beer! Better than coming up low and having to boil down to reach your target.

Back