Dunkelweizen hybrid/emptying out closet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
Having ordered a bunch of grain about a month ago and never getting time to brew, I figured it was time to do SOMETHING with the stuff. Searching recipes brought me to a Gumballhead clone recipe, which sounded good. Then I tapped a TAD bottle of newcastle clone and felt like using up a pound of chocolate wheat malt I had. So this is the recipe I came up with:

6 lbs wheat liquid extract
5 lb US 2 row pale
1 lb vienna malt
1 lb crystal 40
1/2 lb chocolate wheat malt
1 oz amarillo @60 min
1 oz amarillo @30 min
1/2 oz East kent golding @30 min
1 oz amarillo @ 15 min
1 oz bitter orange peel @15 min
2 packets US05

Mash in @ 154
sparge @168

So beersmith gives me 51.9 IBU, which is out of range for a dunkelweizen, and I wound up with an OG of 1.060, which is also out of range. I knew they'd be, but I didn't mind. Oh, and I didn't use weizen yeast.(again, just using what I had on hand) Things went well, I think I got better efficiency than I thought I would get, and I wound up with just under 7 gallons. So my question is, besides it not being a true dunkelweizen, does anybody think the recipe looks good? Also, it's been 24 hours since pitching, and the krausen started out a dark brown, but it's being taken over by light brown krausen. Is this a possible sign of infection? I've never noticed that before. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll update this one, even though there was no interest on the original post. This turned out to be a great beer, by far my best, even though only roughly ten batches under my belt. It was based upon a Gumballhead clone recipe that I threw some chocolate wheat into. There's not much chocolate malt flavor, but if you look for it, it's there. The amarillo and orange peel make me feel like i'm sitting at breakfast. Lacing lets me know exactly where in the glass each sip was taken. this will be a regular in the rotation, although I may try it with a little less hops next time, so the malt profile comes through a little more. I brought a 1/2 gallon growler to work and guys couldn't believe I made it at home. Hope someone else tries this out, I'd love to hear some feedback from someone else.

Back