did i just do a scientific "oh hell no!"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
just mixed bleach and star san because i am going to bottle today, and jesus above, there are some stroooooooong vapors coming off of it, almost made me gag. did i just make a giant poisonous mix? oops?

Uh yeah you mixed phosphoric acid and sodium hypochlorite

done mix chems if you don’t know what you are doing

mixed an acid and a base is going to make a reaction and not a good one

dont put bleach on stainless steal. it will pit it.

does it look messed up for good? if not just rise it off.

btw the mix is not the poison it it aread was poison if you drank it , the poison was by adding the acid you freed the clorine Gas. you dont want to breath clorine gas it will give you chemical pneumonia and hurt your eyes , but if you dont die the damage is temporary

Uh yeah you mixed phosphoric acid and sodium hypochlorite

done mix chems if you don’t know what you are doing

mixed an acid and a base is going to make a reaction and not a good one

Not entirely true. If you mix Baking soda(base) with vinegar(acid) with some red food coloring and you get a grade school volcano.

But what you generated Thor was chlorine gas which when inhaled reacts with the water in your airways to create hydrochloric acid which overtime can be fatal. Flush that mixture down the drain with a large amount of water and ventilate the room. Bleach should really not be mixed with anything other than water since its such a powerful oxidizer it can cause lots of undesirable chemical reactions.

Seems as if you are making Chlorine gas

Used in WWI

Chlorine gas, also known as bertholite, was first used as a weapon in World War I by Germany on April 22, 1915 in the Second Battle of Ypres. As described by the soldiers it had a distinctive smell of a mixture between pepper and pineapple. It also tasted metallic and stung the back of the throat and chest. Chlorine can react with water in the mucosa of the lungs to form hydrochloric acid, an irritant which can be lethal.

dont be daft boy , if you feel fine then you are, if you have a stich in your throat go out side and get some fresh air, you will be fine. if you were going to have problems you would have already, dont they teach chemistry in school any more?

Dump that stuff stat! rinse everything well with lots of water and get some ventilation going to clear that gas out, chemical burns in your lungs are no joke! you dont want to "Chemical Ali" yourself or your friends/family!

dont be daft boy , if you feel fine then you are, if you have a stich in your throat go out side and get some fresh air, you will be fine. if you were going to have problems you would have already, dont they teach chemistry in school any more?

yeah they do, i'm just going off of the previous statements of how deadly this **** is. its not being daft, its being cautious, and seeing if i should go to the hospital. thanks for your help and all, i'm not a dumb ass. just didn't know about mixing those two products. i've heard of people using bleach to sanitize so i assumed it was good to go. live and learn.

your equipment will be fine, you just need to rinse it. If you are feeling fine you'll be OK. But yeah get rid of the mixture if you haven't already (be careful).

+1

if he weren't okay, he'd be laying on the ground foaming at the mouth suffocating to death instead of posting online.

mixture is gone, house is venting, equip is rinsed, thanks again.

Chlorine gas while deadly usually gives you enough time to realize something is wrong and get the hell out. In an enclosed space such as a small bathroom is where it is most lethal since the fumes overtake you, you pass out and die while unconscious. Since you are still breathing and have ventilated at most you may notice a tightness in your chest but that will fade with time. :mug:

Back