Decoction Mashing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abkulp

Reaction score
I am going to using a two step decoction mash for the first time to brew a Dunkelweizen. I am using Beersmith to calculate the steps. I have done lots of homework on how this is done and the best techniques to use, but I have not been able to answer two questions:

1. Beersmith gives me 1 protein rest, 2 saccharification steps, and a mash out. It also gives me a sparging step. Do I use the sparging step as the mash out? I thought at first that I would draw wort from the mash, heat to the target temp, then return that wort to the mash, lauter, and sparge, but I am not sure.

2. It appears advisable to use rice hulls in order to avoid a stuck sparge. Do I add these at the beginning of mashing (before decocting) or before mash out?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

1. Beersmith gives me 1 protein rest, 2 saccharification steps, and a mash out. It also gives me a sparging step. Do I use the sparging step as the mash out? I thought at first that I would draw wort from the mash, heat to the target temp, then return that wort to the mash, lauter, and sparge, but I am not sure.

2. It appears advisable to use rice hulls in order to avoid a stuck sparge. Do I add these at the beginning of mashing (before decocting) or before mash out?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

1. Are you fly sparging, or batch sparging? If you're batch sparging, you don't mash out so you'd use the mash out step as your first sparge. If you're fly sparging, just mash out (via decoction, pulling wort, not as much grain) and then sparge as usual.

2. Use the rice hulls when you mash in.

Latest posts

Back