Braumeister 20L owners: How to decoct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Hi folks

How to proceed with decoction in Braumeister BM20?
I mean the step by step process of pulling part or the mash out of malt pipe?
I can imagine the following
Stop the pump...
Undo a wingnut and remove top horizontal pipe(bar).....
Then what?
How to fish out floating top plate and top mesh screen for accessing the mash?
Or just lift the malt pipe as it used to be for sparging and pull the decoction part after that?
Or else?

TIA!

You could do as you suggest or....

Reserve one or more parts of your grain bill (say a 10% and a 20% portion) and start the Braumeister with the remaining grain at a protein rest temperature.

Dough in (thick, <= 1.0 qts/lb) one portion on your stove heating to beta or alpha rest temperature (or whatever rest temperatures you deem appropriate) and holding for 10 - 15 minutes then boil it for the same.

Pull the pipe and add the decoction to the Braumeister, this should raise the temperature of the mash in the machine. Start the Braumeister pump and let the temperature even out.

Repeat with each portion of reserved grain.

You'll have to observe how each portion added back to the Braumeister raises the main mash temperature and keep the Braumeister temperature setting inline with the what is happening.

Last edited:
I've double decocted on a Braumeister 50 before and it worked great. We brewed a 1st place Czech premium pale.

It was my buddy's system, so I'm probably forgetting some details. We did the protease rest in the Braumister. We then paused the recirc and removed the top wing nut and removed the screen. We used a smallish kitchen strainer to remove thick mash from the Braumeister, scooped it into a one quart ladle, and transferred to a standard kettle on a propane burner.

We boiled the thick mash on the propane burner and once satisfied returned it to the Braumeister. We then put the screen back in, turned the pump back on, set the temp to our Beta rest temp and did the beta rest in the Braumeister. Then we repeated the process for the second decoction/alpha rest. Then we mashed out as normal.

Not sure if this process would apply to the 20L but I don't see why not.

Back