New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction Mash Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #21
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome video Kaiser. I just did my first decoction (mash-out only) on my house ale. I can't wait to get into lagers and do a real decoction like you did.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #22
Jason Horlacher
Recipes 

awesome videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so you boil the grain with the wort?

"Nothing is F***ed here, Man!" -The Dude
"Nothing is F***ed? The God Damn plane has crashed into the mountain!" - The OTHER Jeffery Lebowski

Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #23
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Great Video.... I always did around a 1.35 qt/pound ratio when doing decoction mashing.. Never thought about doing thinner than that.. Now I want to get another one going, it really is a fun process. Thanks for taking the time to make the video!!

Mod's- can we make this a sticky? I would really hate to see this video get lost in the forum.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Mod's- can we make this a sticky? I would really hate to see this video get lost in the forum.
Done. This is an outstanding resource for anyone who's interested in the decoction process.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #25
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most Ausgeseichnet! Das ist ein Hammer!!!! Toll Toll Toll!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #26
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If anyone was wondering More beer sells a less modified pil's malt.. I think when it comes time to do another decocation I might give this a try.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17118/102155

Thanks Bird for making this a sticky.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #27
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
If anyone was wondering More beer sells a less modified pil's malt.. I think when it comes time to do another decocation I might give this a try.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17118/102155
When you use this malt (spec) and the munich malts Briess has, you can actually do a triple decoction or do the shown double decoction with a 20 min (122 - 126F) protein rest as it is lower modified (SNR ~ 36 %). I'm using more modified malts from Europe (40%+ SNR) which don't benefit from that rest. Looks like I may have to give Briess malt a try.

Last night, I thought about a twist to this mash that will allow you to boil all of the grain and starch. Dough-in at acid rest in your boil kettle and preheat your mash tun. Remove 40% of the thin liquid on top and place that into your mash tun. Now decoct the 60% left in your boil kettle (holding sacc rest at 170F and maybe even a protein rest at 120 if the malt needs it) . Return to mashtun for sacc rest. Mash-out and lauter.

I thought of that since there was a lot of starch left in the mash-tun after I removed the grain (not that this is a problem) and breweries actually pump the mash from the bottom which gets them all that starch flour. Since amlost all of the starch will be converted to dextrines in the decoction beore it is returned to the mash tun where fresh (beta amylase) enzymes are waiting, you should get a very highly fermentable wort, especially if you rest the mash closer to 150 F. I thought that this would be a great mash for a very strong Doppelbock or Eisbock, where you want to minimize the dextrines so that the beer has a chance to finish in the 1.020s or even upper 1.010s.

Kai

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #28
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I always did around a 1.35 qt/pound ratio when doing decoction mashing..
BTW, standard mash thickness for German Beers (Pilsner, Weissbier) seems to be 2 qt/lb. I come across this quite often lately.

Kai

Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #29
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
BTW, standard mash thickness for German Beers (Pilsner, Weissbier) seems to be 2 qt/lb. I come across this quite often lately.

Kai
Well after looking at you decoction I realized how stiff mine really where.

Just wondering what does the thinner mash provided? The only reason I did such a thick part of the decoction was I think it was BYO interview a German Brewery and brew master was saying part of not extracting tannins was due in part to the high sugar content of the decoction along with mash PH. Anyways a thinner decoction would make the decoction a lot easier, so I will be trying that. Ok Ill stop rambling now.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #30
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just watched the videos and read this http://www.strandbrewers.org/techinfo/decoct1.htm

The only thing I never really picked up was what this does to the finished product vs infusion mashing? At the end there he had all the protein built up on top, assuming that doesn't make it to the beer, does head retention suffer (I suspect not)?
Maltier profile, higher FG?

Quick Reply