copper pot for decoctions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
I was reading about how copper ions catalyse maillard reactions and was thinking if one could get a small (2 gallon) copper stock pot to boil decoctions in and whether this could add some interesting color/flavor to decocted worts. Maybe it would be a relatively cheap way to get the benefits of boiling in copper without spending a $1000 on a 10 gallon kettle that scratches if you look hard enough at it. Am I crazy?

I don't think you're crazy.I've thought about doing that myself, using a copper pot for decoctions and caramelizing sugar or a portion of wort. I think it could add an interesting flavor aspect to the beer.

I have this copper jam pan that I use when I'm making jams, jellies, and preserves. It's 10.6 quarts, so probably perfect for decoctions on the mash for a five gallon brew. Too small for the amount of grain in a 10 gallon brew.

I've only tried decoctions a couple of times, but it didn't occur to me to use this pan, so I can't report on the effect. If I ever do another decoction on a five gallon batch, I'll try it.

Cool...I think for a good control one could make a single malt decocted wort and see what kind of color and/or flavor is gained from it. It might give a beer that certain, 'I don't know what'.

Impressive price for a small pot! Why not put a piece of copper in a stainless pan? You could buy a few hundred feet of copper pipe for that price.

Interesting thread, especially after that thread a week or two ago was worried about the risk of copper toxicity

I think that might be a good idea for getting more of a classic taste. With that great thick copper pot, you are also less likely to scorch the grains.

Impressive price for a small pot!

Ha, that doesn't even scratch the surface of pricey copper (or not) kitchen implements.

Back