Boil kettle trub w/ flameout additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZZ

Reaction score
Ive done quit a bit of reading about this and even came across some side by side direct comparisons about leaving hop trub in the boil kettle vs transferring it to your fermenter.

With flame out hop additions though, aren't you losing a lot of aromatic/flavor potential by NOT transferring the hop sediment to the fermenter? I mean, you add 2 oz of hops at flame out, then start chilling and in 5 minutes or so my wort is down to 110 degrees already. Another 10-15 and I'm at 70 degrees. Isnt it kind of a wasted effort adding hops at flameout with only 5 minutes of hot water contact, and then removing the material by not transferring it to the fermenter? I get that having it in the fermenter to long might not be optimal either but seems like it defeats the purpose.

How to you guys do it? Just really seems weird adding hop goodness to the boil kettle at flameout only to wash it down the drain twenty minutes later.

You don't transfer spent grain from the mash to the boil. Same idea. After steeping or whirlpooling, hop oils are in the liquid, not the solid matter.

Last edited:
Just read a thread on this, but forgot the author. Do an advanced search. Limit the search to the past three days for results.

You don't transfer spent grain from the mash to the boil. Same idea. After steeping, hop oils are in the liquid, not the solid matter.

Obviously the boil extracts the goods, but i'm referring to adding hops at flameout that do not get boiled at all, and only have 5 minutes of hot water contact time. 5 minutes and my chiller has the temp down to around 100 degrees. At that point there can't be much extraction going on.

It seems that 5 minutes isn't going to do much. I guess what Im asking is if I should wait twenty minutes or so before starting to chill the wort so they have time to steep??

Flars- thanks for the link, I'll look through it!

At that point there can't be much extraction going on.
Hop oil are volatile and boil off. By adding hops after the boil or for an extended whirlpool you better preserve the oils, but extract much less bitterness. The oils are what are responsible for most of the flavor and aroma.

Thanks for the input, so maybe it would be a good idea to give them a bit of time to steep before starting to chill. I've literally turned off the gas. Dumped them in, stirred and the the chiller goes right in. 5 minutes later I'm looking at temps around 100 degrees.

Maybe giving them ten minutes or so to steep before chilling is the way to go??

Gotcha I've read about that but wasn't sure what it meant. Thanks for your help! :)

Flars- that's actually one of the articles I read.

Thanks again guys.

Back