A BIAB Brewday with lots of pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soundrel, sorry I read your post wrong. I got 39 when I input the Men in Black IPA, the other recipe I mentioned I was planning on doing later comes in at 31.5 SRM.

Good deal! Keep us up-to-date on which recipe you go with and how it turns out.

Nice writeup. So you started with 12gal and ended up with 10gal... What's your boil off rate? Wouldn't the gain soak up more than half of that difference? I do full volume BIAIB in a keggle and start with about 9 gal for an IPA and end up with 6 into the fermentor (with .8 left in the keggle) and I squeeze like heck, low eighties efficiency. Thanks for sharing.

Nice writeup. So you started with 12gal and ended up with 10gal... What's your boil off rate? Wouldn't the gain soak up more than half of that difference? I do full volume BIAIB in a keggle and start with about 9 gal for an IPA and end up with 6 into the fermentor (with .8 left in the keggle) and I squeeze like heck, low eighties efficiency. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, it's been a 2 gallon boiloff ever since I moved to the propane burner. I used to boiloff 1 gallon on the stovetop. The batch I did that day was 20.67 lbs of grain and beersmith said the absorption would be around 1.5 gallons. I mashed beginning at 12 gallons, pulled and squeezed the bag down to around 10.5ish, topped off to 13.5 and boiled down to 11.5. Loose some for cooling and trub, then split about 5.5 in each carboy.

I normally like to maximize the kettle space by keeping the water level at about an inch to inch 1/2 from the top of the kettle (for stir room) so the least amount of top off water (preboil) is used. The bigger the beer, the more top off I'll have.

low eighties is great! I'm still getting used to these 10 gallon batches and sorting that out. Mine has been closer to 75% the last few.

Thanks for checking out my pics! :tank:

brewhead05 sent a PM asking a few questions about the blichmann and pot size so I thought I'd post them in case it helps others...

TK

First off let me thank you for your BIAB post and pictures.

I see that you are using a Boilermaker pot. What size pot are you using for the BIAB posts pictures? Why did you choose this size pot? How do you like the pot and why did you decide on a Boilermaker for BIAB? Does the temp probe catch on the bag and cause problems with bag removal?

I am moving into BIAB and need help on pot selection.
Sure would appreciate and help you could offer.

Thanks for your time and help.

brewhead05 sent a PM asking a few questions about the blichmann and pot size so I thought I'd post them in case it helps others...

TK

First off let me thank you for your BIAB post and pictures.

I see that you are using a Boilermaker pot. What size pot are you using for the BIAB posts pictures? Why did you choose this size pot? How do you like the pot and why did you decide on a Boilermaker for BIAB? Does the temp probe catch on the bag and cause problems with bag removal?

I am moving into BIAB and need help on pot selection.
Sure would appreciate and help you could offer.

Thanks for your time and help.

Hey brewhead05,

You're welcome.. thanks for checking out my pics! I have the 15 gallon boilermaker and the only time the thermometer ever caught the bag was on a 36lb grain bill. Most are not that large so it's fine. I usually get help on larger grain bills like that and you can use the mash paddle to push the bag away from the thermometer stem while it's lifted.

As far as selecting a size, I would say go with a 15 or 20 gallon pot if you plan to use a propane burner and not the stovetop. 20 if you can swing it. This will allow you to mash the full volume for most mid to high gravity beers and you won't need to top off with water before the boil.

I found it tough deciding on a pot size because there are so many options. You can use two pots and mash in one and sparge in another, then combine. You can use a single pot like we do and if it's not large enough, you can always brew high gravity beers in smaller batches. I wanted to do 10 gallon batches so the minimum would be 15 gal. If you know you will always make 5 gallon batches then a 10 gallon pot would be fine.

I like the blichmann pots a lot but the 20 gallon is very expensive and there are plenty of other nice stainless pots out there. My buddy scoundrel has a 20 gallon pot (bayou classic?) that was not that expensive--I'll ask him to post a link.

Hope this helps.

-TK

Thanks for plugging my bags, tknice! I just wanted to point out that brewinabag.weebly.com now points to a site about vacuums :drunk:

If you are interested in a bag, you can go to my new web site, which is bagbrewer.com

Yeah, they are working out really well for me.

I changed your site address on a few other places I linked it as well.

Back