Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #91
hughmac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

• Take Pictures of Everything
  • Lots of Tables and Chairs
  • Brew Outside
Take Pictures of Everything
Take pictures of your various setups and piles of gear and ingredients as you get them 'all set'. Each 'station' ... the mash, the sparge, the boil, the chill, etc. Get ALL of the gear in the pic. That first time you'll keep having to go scrounge around for a piece of gear here, a piece there, but the next time, since you took the pics, you can just set it all up. Much more RDWHAHB.

Or take detailed notes on paper. But I like the pics, because I will actually take them, wheras writing while brewing ... .

You can also use the pics to help you get all the gear into 'station' boxes or tubs or whatever, too, instead of that one giant garbage bag full of crap.

Lots of Tables and Chairs
Have several tables and chairs handy (or build a RIMS ) for siphoning, ingredient layout, and hanging out on/in. This is important to me because I like to:

Brew Outside (if possible)
My turkey fryer insisted that I use it outside, so I did. I was worried! I'd only ever brewed in my kitchen. It was WONDERFUL! I have a drain in the ground to dump stuff, I have a HOSE, I can SPILL STUFF and NOT clean it up, I can clean stuff easier (with the hose, on the lawn!), I can play croquet, I can stare at the sky, etc. Obviously there's a weather downside, and if you're still cooking on the stove it might be difficult ...

I know there is more. What a great thread, wish I'd seen it 10 years ago.
Bottles: DUSTY
Conditioning: Nada
Secondary: Oddman Ordinary
Primary: Nada
On-Deck: Maibock? Schwartzbier?

Last edited by hughmac; 07-18-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 AM   #92
Travel_mon
Recipes 

I'm confused now. So for an AG batch of say 14 lbs. of grain you'd want to use 17.5 quarts of liquor (14 lbs of grain x 1.25 quarts? which would be about 4.375 gal of liquor, am I correct in this thinking?

Thanks in advance.
Brooks

Old 08-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #93
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Using the numbers from the original post:

17.5 quarts for the mash (14lbs. x 1.25qts/lb)
28 quarts for the sparge (14lbs. x 2qts/lb)

45.5 quarts total, or approx. 11.5 gallons, which would then need to be boiled down

Old 08-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #94
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That would be for a 5 Gallon batch? That seems like alot.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #95
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I respectfully disagree about the 2-3 degree temperature drop of strike water upon introduction to the grain in an insulated mash tun. My average temperature drops on my first two ice chest tuns were 13 and 9 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. I preheat the empty tuns with the hottest tap water I have (but not boiling water). I think the lesson here is that every brewing rig is a little different, and you've got to learn your system's ins and outs. Personally, I'd rather overshoot my target temperature by a few degrees and stir the mash with a couple of frozen water bottles than undershoot and start the cycle of boiling water additions -- which wastes time and dilutes the precious ratio of water to grain.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #96
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

every system is different and it really depends on many variables, including the ambient temp along with the grain temp. i generally shoot low and then heat and stir to rise to temp.

also, i find it much easier to keep my temp for the full mash when the ambient temp is 75°F as appose to 65°F. i didn't think 10 degrees would make much difference, but i certainly see it.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #97
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
I respectfully disagree about the 2-3 degree temperature drop of strike water upon introduction to the grain in an insulated mash tun. My average temperature drops on my first two ice chest tuns were 13 and 9 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. I preheat the empty tuns with the hottest tap water I have (but not boiling water). I think the lesson here is that every brewing rig is a little different, and you've got to learn your system's ins and outs. Personally, I'd rather overshoot my target temperature by a few degrees and stir the mash with a couple of frozen water bottles than undershoot and start the cycle of boiling water additions -- which wastes time and dilutes the precious ratio of water to grain.
Would it make a difference if the tun was pre-heated to the strike water temp?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #98
cprincipe
Recipes 

Stupid question:

I'm currently doing extract with steeped grains, boiling my wort in a stock pot. I think that produces about two gallons of "concentrated" wort which is combined with three gallons of water to create five gallons of wort that I then pitch and ferment.

If I were to go all-grain and end up with a five gallon batch, would I create 11 gallons of "malted water" which then needs to be boiled down to 5 gallons of wort and doesn't require any further water addition?

Drinking: Baby Maggie Pale Ale

Old 10-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #99
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprincipe View Post
Stupid question:

I'm currently doing extract with steeped grains, boiling my wort in a stock pot. I think that produces about two gallons of "concentrated" wort which is combined with three gallons of water to create five gallons of wort that I then pitch and ferment.

If I were to go all-grain and end up with a five gallon batch, would I create 11 gallons of "malted water" which then needs to be boiled down to 5 gallons of wort and doesn't require any further water addition?
Maybe. Yes the idea is that you end up 5 or 5.5 or 6 gals finished wort ready for the fermenter, but a standard beer ~1.040-1.050 OG could probably start with as little as 6.5 or 7 gals collected wort. I plan to add an extra lb or 2 of grain and slightly lower efficiency so that I can do 1 hour boils and end up with 5.5 gals
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #100
Sucram
Recipes 

Default Cooling samples

I'm getting ready to do my first AG batch very soon and as I mull through every detail I can, I'm wondering how do you guys cool your samples quickly for gravity reading of mash and sparge runoff? I also get frustrated when I can't take gravity readings when I'm boiling a starter.

--Thanks for your suggestions.

Quick Reply