New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Almost ready for first all-gain batch: rice hulls question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Kershner_Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Almost ready for first all-gain batch: rice hulls question

I plan on adding a pound of rice hauls to the mash for my first all-grain batch, especially since it appears I have my crush a bit too fine. Do I have to factor in the 1 lb of rice hauls when calculating how much strike water to add?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I never do.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I normally don't use them. The only exception is when I do the Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale due to all the corn and rice. Even then, a pound is way over kill, IMHO.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
eggbeater59
Recipes 

you don't need to toss in a lb of hulls, just a big handfull works. if you are feeling overzealous with it, two handfulls.

instead of adding mashwater, you should just soak your hulls in water for half an hour or so. just make sure they all get wet and you'lll be fine. i drop my hulls in a water filled jar as i'm waiting for the mashwater to come up.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

water absorbtion is just about the same for grain as it is for hulls. doubt if you will need them at all. do you fly or batch sparge and what is your manifold/screen type?

cooler batch sparging with a stainless steel braid can handle some very fine crush without a stuck sparge The trick is to start your vorlauf with a very slow runoff, then adjust your flow rate once your bed is set

Last edited by OLDBREW; 01-19-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Kershner_Ale
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I'm batch sparging with a cooler and stainless braid (high temp tubing with notches inside of stainless braid). I cut way back on the amount of rice hauls I added but was too paranoid not to add any! The process is going well so far....

Old 01-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
wrestler63
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbeater59 View Post
you don't need to toss in a lb of hulls, just a big handfull works. if you are feeling overzealous with it, two handfulls.

instead of adding mashwater, you should just soak your hulls in water for half an hour or so. just make sure they all get wet and you'lll be fine. i drop my hulls in a water filled jar as i'm waiting for the mashwater to come up.
+1 on this. I just did a Dunkleweizen that is 65% wheat and used only a hand full. No stuck sparge, all went well.
Cheers

Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

+2, you just need enough to keep the grain bed from collapsing under it's own weight.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

BTW: Not sure where I read it (BYO, Zymurgy, here), but using a spatula to cut slices into the grain bed after a stuck sparge works really well. It also requires a lot less of a vorlauf after it unplugs then re-stirring the mash. My Biere de Garde stuck on me on Sunday halfway through the sparge.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
BTW: Not sure where I read it (BYO, Zymurgy, here), but using a spatula to cut slices into the grain bed after a stuck sparge works really well. It also requires a lot less of a vorlauf after it unplugs then re-stirring the mash. My Biere de Garde stuck on me on Sunday halfway through the sparge.
Were you using unmalted or flaked wheat in that recipe?

If you use a lot of flaked or unmalted grist it can get gummy. Malted wheat beers I do up to 70% malted wheat without any hulls. It depends on your set-up and your crush.

A long cake icing knife or spatula works well if you are recirculating and your flow rate slows. You can cut the top 2 or so inches of the bed in a criss-cross pattern, that will loosen up the silt layer on top of the bed and increase your flow rate.

A tip for those guys using brewing software such as ProMash where you can enter new grain types.

You make a "New Grain" entry, and name it "Rice Hulls". Where the gravity points are entered for the malt, you just ZERO it out, then SAVE.

When you make a Recipe up and want to use hulls, you just add the hulls into the recipe as you would other malts, and how much you are going to use.

The software will adjust the water needed automatically without adding any gravity. There is no need to pre-soak them that way, you just throw them in the mash along with the other grist.

Last edited by OLDBREW; 01-20-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply