7 gal boil in 2 - 5 gallon pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muels

Reaction score
Any reason I can't split my first runnings between 2 pots and then split the batch sparge between 2 pots and then mix them back together after the boil? I don't have my 10/15 gallon pot yet and want to try the all grain set-up. My pre boil volume will end up being around 7 gallons so I figured I would put about 3.5 in each one, do 2 independent boils and mix them back up to get 5 at the end.

thoughts?

Your boil off rate will be higher. Other than that you are fine. I've done many 5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon pot. I just start the boil with first runnings, add the sparge and water as it boils down, then top off in the fermenter. But I also have split boils.

I will have some DME and some top off water on hand if something is out of whack.

Just remember to split your boil volume AND hop additions equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any reason I can't split my first runnings between 2 pots and then split the batch sparge between 2 pots and then mix them back together after the boil? I don't have my 10/15 gallon pot yet and want to try the all grain set-up. My pre boil volume will end up being around 7 gallons so I figured I would put about 3.5 in each one, do 2 independent boils and mix them back up to get 5 at the end.

thoughts?

nope this works great

It is also makes stove top boils a lot easier to reach. before I got a propane burner I'd start out in up to pots to get the boil started.

One of my LHBS owners swears by this method to do BIAB full boil 5G batches on his stovetop. I've been contemplating doing this.

Sure it works just fine. Split your hop additions between the pots and you are good. I do it sometimes when the weather is crappy outside.

Back