7:50 PM Dough In....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
Gonna be a long night, and a horrible 530AM wakeup for work.

Would have been an hour earlier if I didn't have to calibrate my stupid thermometers. I was lazy and never calibrated them when I got them, and finally decided to test them and had 3 different readings. Had to run inside for a 4th thermo that I knew worked to figure it all out. Boil test done, then had to mix room temp water with the too hot water to try and hit my dough-in temp. Mashing at about 1.35 quarts per pound :cross:

At least I have my Godiva Brown on tap next to me... Just hope I can see straight enough by the boil to measure the hops...

You could always run the sparge, and save the boil until tomorrow after work. A lotta guys do that...mash the night before, boil the next morning/afternoon.
just do a normal mash out to halt enzymatic conversion and you should be cool.

Otherwise...there could be worse reasons for staying up so late :)

I'm right there with you. I'm doing BIAB so I may finish a little earlier (no sparge), but I'm going to let the aroma hops steep for 30 minutes when the boil is over. And I don't have to get up at 5:30. Brutal man! hah. You should consider drinking a lot tonight to take the edge off the morning. You can trust me.

AHahahaha, thanks for the votes of confidence. The thermometer problem is still messing with my brain. I either mashed way too high or perfect. To be safe I'm going another 40 minutes after adding some cooler water to bring it down to the right mash temp on the thermo that I normally use.

Any thoughts on ramping down during mash? Is it possible?

1st hop addition, 955. doing a 75 minute boil. I wish I had an IC or CFC! Will probably put it in an ice bath and pitch in the AM. Getting tired and drunk.

Good news is the IPA I kegged 4 days ago is PHENOMENAL!!!! It's like I'm chewing on wonderful, wonderful hops! Can't wait for it to be fully carbed...

Last hop addition done (shortened to 60 minute boil, amazing what tiredness can make you do). It smells incredible in the garage although it's about 95 degrees in here now. Closed the garage doors to keep the bugs out and have two fans blowing air through the screened windows but it's still INSANELY hot in here. Good thing I have cold beer to cool me off. Unfortunately I almost tripped over an extension cord into the boiling wort as I went to do the last addition. Carrying the hot pot to the house and putting it into the bathtub will be very entertaining....

Good night all!

I don't know, and I don't mean to perpetuate the Kentucky stereotype, but I just dropped 2 oz of hops in for aroma and now Outkast is coming on. I'm going to let them steep for 30 mins then I'll chill.

I'm sorry, Miss Jackson.

I didn't explain that Merle Haggard was on before Outkast. That's why I was defensive about Kentucky. I brewed an Amarillo / Simcoe IPA. 2 packs of Notty to go into it once it cools down sufficiently.

Pandora is weirding me out.

I pitched at 1155 last night and was in bed asleep by midnight. Did a little cleaning at 6am this morning before stumbling to the bus. Happy to say that the MO Cascade Pale is happily bubbling away already.

How'd yours finish up rob?

I think you did pretty damn well. I worked from home yesterday afternoon so I could get an early start and still didn't finish until almost midnight. Made a couple stupid rookie mistakes while trying to multitask with work and lost track of time a couple times during the mash, had the daughter home from daycare... turned into nearly 10 hour brew day. Just plain stooopid.

I think you did pretty damn well. I worked from home yesterday afternoon so I could get an early start and still didn't finish until almost midnight. Made a couple stupid rookie mistakes while trying to multitask with work and lost track of time a couple times during the mash, had the daughter home from daycare... turned into nearly 10 hour brew day. Just plain stooopid.

Damn that's a long day. What'd you brew?

I had the luxury last night of having the whole family out of town so I just closed myself off in the garage with the laptop, the stereo, a few fans at the windows, and 10 gallons of homebrew on tap. I didn't mind the unexpected delays, they just meant that I could fill another half glass...

I brewed an Oberon-ish beer but was dicking around with my new thermapen and blew my mash temps on the low side (was aiming for a higher mash temp to finish on the higher side of FG).

My Mash schedule ended up looking something like (not including all the other wasted/distracted time):
130 for 30 min
133 for 30 min
150 for 30 min
157 for 30 min

Then I sparged for about 2 hours since this is when I had to watch my daughter and couldn't pay enough attention to keep flow at a decent rate. Ended up with great efficiency, but it was a 2 hr sparge. I also ended up collecting 18 gallons instead of 15.5. so I had to boil off for an hour and a half. Sheeesh.

Pretty dumb. I wanted to mash 30 min @ 133 and 30 min @ 156-157. I am guessing it is going to end up too dry now.

Ask me again in a month! I brewed an IPA with mostly Amarillo / Simcoe. I think it turned out okay, the brew night didn't have any disasters. I missed my OG by .03 points. I had a huge mess to clean up the next morning. It's worth it though. hah.

I pitched at 1155 last night and was in bed asleep by midnight. Did a little cleaning at 6am this morning before stumbling to the bus. Happy to say that the MO Cascade Pale is happily bubbling away already.

How'd yours finish up rob?

Back