4-months in primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey27

Reaction score
OK, I have been extremely busy this year, and have not had even a few hours to bottle an AG brown porter that has been sitting in the primary for almost 4 months in a temp-controlled water bath (70 F). I have not yet tasted it or anything because I did not want to contaminate it if I removed the airlock, tasted and then ended up not bottling for a while. But assuming that it tastes OK, I am going to bottle it soon.

My question is: do I need to do anything different regarding yeast (it is the London Ale III Wyeast)? Should I rouse the yeast in some way before bottling or do you think there is still enough in suspension that I don't need to worry about it settling out or flocculating or otherwise going dormant.

Four months is quite a while, so I would repitch some yeast just to be on the safe side. There have been some posts which have suggested that you just rehydrate some Nottingham or S-05 at bottling time (or maybe 04 if it's an english brown?). It shouldn't give any flavor by just carbing it, and you'll have peace of mind. If you're willing to spend the extra $ for the London Ale III yeast, you could pitch that into the bottling bucket instead.

Back