Yeast temp?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjleyba0822

Reaction score
So I'm brewing my second batch. First is carbonating still. Anyway. I brewed my batch yesterday afternoon. That morning I rehydrated my yeast as directed but it was in about 95-100 degree water. Is that too hot for the yeast? Did I kill it? It's not showing any signs of fermenting in the bucket or airlock yet. Help please

That's the perfect temperature for rehydrating dry yeast. It can take 72 hrs for signs of fermentation, so RDWHAHB.

Tap water that's been boiled and allowed to cool to 100*F (covered with sanitized foil).

After doing the 20 minute rehydration, you have to slowly adjust the temp of the yeast slurry to within 10*F of the wort temp. Hopefully, the wort has been cooled to the 60's. Add a small amount of wort to the slurry, stir and let sit 3-5 min. Do that 3-4 times then get a temp reading with a sanitized thermometer to see how close you've gotten.

Back