using corny as co2 tank??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whale

Reaction score
thinking about taking my kegged beer outside without taking co2 tank/regulator.
as long as my beer is carbed up ready to drink, can I fill an empty corny with co2 (20lb-30lb not sure what works the best) hook up to the beer keg with a valve. just turn the valve as u need to push the beer out.

I am thinking of beer pumps that pumps air into keg to push the beer out. instead of using a air pump, use co2 in a empty corny.

would this work????

this would make my kegged beer more portable without spending too much on equipment.

Sure it'll work. 20 psi should do it I'd think but you might want to go to 30 PSI on your first try just so you don't run out , plus it beats the heck out of getting ripped off on those little cartridges.

You really don't need a valve just 2 gas connectors hooked together, hook the 2 cornys up for a second when you need some pressure then take it back off once the serving corny is pressured

Also setting the serving corny higher than the tap helps the flow with some siphon action reducing the amount of pressure needed to dispence

Yeah, I thought about doing this as well. I only have one CO2 regulator so I thought this might be a cheap and easy way to dispense a keg away from home.

I'd use a ball valve. trying to time psi by hooking it up for just a second is not worth it to me.

however..... why not just fill the conry to 4 gallons, and carbonate. the extra head space allows a LOT of -volume- of gas which will keep it serving down to almost the end, then if you are trying to go commando on it, use a bike pump. if you are going to finish the thing then who cares.
my id page has a pic of some of my adaptors.

I thought of this set up because I have a 20lb steel co2 tank. Also its fed through the wall of my fridge, I didnt want to take it apart. just putting some co2 in a corny is lot lighter and makes me more mobile with my beer. I guess best way will be buying a secondary regulator but for the cost of that, there may be a better way to go.

this way it gives me a reason to go and buy more corny.

If all you want to do is dispense a gallon or so at a time, the CO2 charger would cost you $16 up front and about $1 per cartridge. It's not cheap, but it's the most mobile solution.

If you're taking a corny out with the intent to finish it off, why not dispense from the gas in post with the corny upside down. You can open the beer out post to equalize the pressure and let it gravity feed. No extra equipment, just put a cobra tap on a gas in post.
The caveat would be that you should finish the beer as it will oxidize within a few days and the flavor will change.

Back