Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Too much foam?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Mainebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Too much foam?

My buddy brewed a boston ale and I think he may have put 30lbs on a 3 gal corni that had been sitting for a while like 2 or 3 years. Well we tapped it tonight and I bleed off some of the co2 and rigged up, put 3lbs on the regs with a picnic tap and 3' of hose and got nothing but foam. After struggling for the beer I took the lid off and poure the beer into the mugs but to my suprise when the liquid hit the glass it too turned to foam. Could this be over carbonated?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebrew View Post
My buddy brewed a boston ale and I think he may have put 30lbs on a 3 gal corni that had been sitting for a while like 2 or 3 years. Well we tapped it tonight and I bleed off some of the co2 and rigged up, put 3lbs on the regs with a picnic tap and 3' of hose and got nothing but foam. After struggling for the beer I took the lid off and poure the beer into the mugs but to my suprise when the liquid hit the glass it too turned to foam. Could this be over carbonated?
It definitely sounds overcarbonated. I also think 3 feet of hose is about half of what you need to get a decent pour. I have my kegs (5 gallon) at 12 psi with 8-10 feet of beerline. That gives me a perfect pour. How long has it been at 30 psi? You can try pulling the pressure relief valve every few hours until it's better.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
kirscp
Recipes 

Your beer hose size makes a huge difference too. I use 6 feet of 3/16th tubing at 12psi. The larger the ID of the hose, the longer you'll need.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

30psi will overcarb fast.
6 feet of beer line is a good place to start. I run 10feet to balance my system.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebrew View Post
the beer has been sitting in the cornie for 2 or 3 years?

keep purging the keg sounds like it's way over carb'ed don't hook the keg back up between purges either. I would let it settle until just a small amount of CO2 comes out after a day or two then hook up to CO2 and slowly increase to get the proper level of CO2

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 593 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 223

If that beer was sitting in a keg for 2-3 years, residual fermentation is most likely your culprit...not 30# of pressure. Thought the 30# didn't help

How long was the beer under the gas and at what temps?

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
If that beer was sitting in a keg for 2-3 years, residual fermentation is most likely your culprit...not 30# of pressure. Thought the 30# didn't help

How long was the beer under the gas and at what temps?
If they were sitting that long without pressure they may also be infected . Just thinking out loud again

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let us know if its still drinkable after 2-3 yr. in keg.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I drank the 2 3 gal cornis I had and had no problem, Like you guys said a little over-carbing but I bled some off and after a couple of days I had good pulls. No contamination that I know of tasted excellent and very delcious, YUM! But If I were to store them myself I would maybe put 15-18 psi on them and put them away because I think they will become more carbonated over time. But it is good to know that your beer under the right conditions can stay good over that span of time.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would not carb, just let it sit and age until you're ready (purge head space as usual when kegging). Save on gas and same result. 2-3 years though? Wow, that should be some tasty beer; good to know!

Quick Reply