Thoughts on bitterness being caused by forced carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to get to the bottom of an issue that I've been having with my APA's.

I have brewed two of them with different, yet similar recipes, since July. The first was Ed Wort's Haus Pale; the other was a summer ale with 2-row, flaked barley and some light crystal. More or less the same hop schedule as Ed's, including the use of Cascades on both. I used 1056 on both as well. The first one was brewed in July and sat in secondary for a few hot weeks (well, hot by Vancouver standards - 86-90F). The latest one fermented within the range for 1056.

Both of them had a lovely Cascade aroma, a great hoppy/malty start to the flavour, but an astringent and almost stale taste in the finish. I drank about 1/2 of my keg of Ed's and binned the rest. I felt like I was punishing myself drinking it. This latest similar pale ale has the same issue. First, I know that something is wrong with them, but one thing that I know that it certainly isn't the recipes - I've made both before and loved them, hence the repeat in their brewing.

My question is whether the way that I'm carbing them may be making them acidic (carbonic acid). I have been force carbing at room temperature since my kegerator is too small to hold a keg and have been setting the PSI based on Beersmith's chart.

If this can't be the cause, I'll move on to different forums. Thoughts, oh wise HBT sages?

Thanks a lot.

Definitely not a forced carbonation problem. Although secondary temperatures aren't critical, 86-90F is excessive. But, I would have expected that to produce a sherry-like flavor.

Check your thermometer(s). Sounds more like a tannin problem.

Back