Tap problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
I usually run two 5 gallon soda kegs in my kegerator with pin lock connectors along with a 2 gauge single regulator and it's manageable especially when the 2 beers are equally carbonated.

I recently rigged up a couple of extra hoses (gas and beer) so I can switch one side over to the commercial style sanke ball lock style kegs for when I pick up a keg of my favorite commercial beer.

The problem I am having is the ball lock keg side requires WAY less gas pressure (almost no pressure) in order to keep the beer from heading up to extreme levels. I notice that the clear tubing coming out of the keg always has an air space of a few inches which really contributes to the over foaming. In other words, the beer begins to flow just fine until the air space reaches the tap where it really starts to froth up a couple seconds after the flow starts. I've had to constantly deal with this.

Anybody have an answer?

I figured I should have a secondary regulator anyway just because of the different style keg system, but having to run near zero pressure sounds like another issue that needs attention.

Chest freezer or fridge? Is there any air circulation in the kegerator? The lines are probably near the top and will be warmer than the rest of the system.

It's a standard kegerator about 4 feet tall with a tower protruding from the top. It has no air circulation at all, just a refrigerant panel inside (rear). This keg is skinny and tall compared to my soda kegs which are a bit shorter and fatter. This keg has to be leaned at an angle to fit inside so, yes the flow line coming out of the top is right against the top of the unit.

I also didn't mention that the fluid line has varying sizes meaning the line out has a 3/8'' inside diameter fitting and hose which steps down to the 1/4'' inside diameter line going to the tap.

Any ideas, or do I just have to deal with it when I use a sanke keg?

Back