Storing an IPA in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximAvs

Reaction score
Just transferred a nice IPA from the fermenter into a keg. I don't have room in my kegerater for it right now. How long can I store it in my 67 degree basement before it starts to go south on me? Will the hop bitterness dissipate over time?
Thanks
Sean

You can store it for a while, but it seems like the hops aroma starts to fade very quickly in an IPA. The flavor hops seem to fade pretty fast also, but the bittering hops don't fade much. In fact, in just a few weeks the beer will seem to taste more bitter, due to the fading of the hops aroma and flavor. It can age quite a while, but it won't be the same beer. I'd drink it sooner, rather than later, if possible.

Just transferred a nice IPA from the fermenter into a keg. I don't have room in my kegerater for it right now. How long can I store it in my 67 degree basement before it starts to go south on me? Will the hop bitterness dissipate over time?
Thanks
Sean

As mentioned, storing a beer is no problem. But as Yooper points out, freshness is important in an IPA. Why not rotate out one of your other kegs (perhaps one that you've grown a tad tired of lately) for the IPA, and store that one downstairs?

I agree, I'd try to drink it sooner. If you can't, you can also give it another shot of dry hops just before you put it on the gas. Be sure to bag the hops (it's not carbonated, right? If that's the case have the lid ready - you'll get major foam but it can be done).

Back