Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Steam Beer No Carbonation In Bottle 2 Weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
syankey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steam Beer No Carbonation In Bottle 2 Weeks

Still new to breweing. Have successfully brewed and bottle two batchs I have been very happy with. Tried a Steam Beer recently and am getting very little carbonation in bottle. It's been 3 weeks since I bottled. Had the beer in Primary 1 week and secondary 3 weeks. Left in secondary a bit longer than I wanted but did not have a chance to bottle after 3 weeks and have read that it shouldn't be a problem. Beer was very very clear going into botteling bucket.

When I look at the beer in the bottles I am seeing almost no sediment. I'm wondering if the yeast didn't settle out too much and after being very carful not to disturb the yeast when racking that I do not have enought yeast left over in the bottle to carbonate.

Am considering taking cracking 6 bottles open, adding a bit of yeast, and waiting a bit longer. I am a bit confused. The beer looked and tasted great just prior to bottling and I'm wondering if I don't have enought yeast in the bottles to carbonate?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

what did you add at bottling?

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There have been a number of recent threads on this exact topic. Do a quick search and you will find lots of useful information.

Usually, undercarbonation occurs because people don't leave their beers long enough in the bottle (3 weeks is the minimum) or they have their bottles at too cool a temp (bottles should be around 75 degrees for the first week or two). The other common problem is not sufficiently mixing your priming sugar into the beer.

Given the time you have had your beer in the bottles, it sounds like the second or third issue might be most relevant to you.

If you are worried that you don't have enough yeast or priming sugar in the bottles to carbonate them, it is possible to add more of one or the other or both. See here for some details:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...490#post310490

Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #4
syankey
Recipes 

Default Thanks

Thank you. When I posted this question I was at work and didn't have a whole lot of time to search the board for this topic. My bottles are kept a pretty constant 73 degrees since they are on the first floor and that is what my thermostat is set to.

I have tried swirling the yeast around to try to jump start the process. Trouble is there is hardly any visible yeast in the bottles to swirl. I think what I'll do is wait another week and pop another bottle. If the results are the same I will try to add some yeast to a few sample bottles to see if that does the trick.

Thanks, and if this doesn't sound like a good plan to anyone...Please yell at me.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Its a lager yeast, give it time.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 06-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by syankey
Thank you. When I posted this question I was at work and didn't have a whole lot of time to search the board for this topic.
My pleasure -- glad to have helped. And when I suggested you search around, I wasn't chastising you for not doing so (sorry if I came across that way). I simply meant that there are lots of other folks here offering their own opinions, too, that you should have a look at.

And welcome to the board!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
syankey
Recipes 

Thanks to all. I used White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast. It's what the guy at my local brewshop recommened. I think I will drop a bit of yeast into the bottles this weeks just as an experiment in the very least. Best way to learn. Thanks again.

I'm really enjoying this board and drooling over everyones DIY projects. Soon enought I'll post a few images.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer
what did you add at bottling?
I don't think this was ever answered...

So, what kind of priming sugar did you use, and how much did you add?

Old 06-15-2007, 04:10 AM   #9
syankey
Recipes 

Please excuse my non exact terms. I used the premeasured priming sugar that came with my kit. I think it's the corn sugar...probably 3/4 cup or so...small baggie. I did bottle almost every last drop of my beer and got excactly 54 bottles.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:15 AM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by syankey
Please excuse my non exact terms. I used the premeasured priming sugar that came with my kit. I think it's the corn sugar...probably 3/4 cup or so...small baggie. I did bottle almost every last drop of my beer and got excactly 54 bottles.
No problem - sounds like you did it right. For a while, it seemed as if you may have forgotten to prime at all. Give it some time. If after another week or two, you get no results, open the bottles, add a few granules of dry yeast, and re-cap.

Quick Reply