Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Silver King Kegerator Build Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #21
vanbcguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah, that was one other nice thing with this fridge, the whole refrigeration system is self contained at the back - no compressor hump, no lines in the body of the fridge and the entire thing is rebuildable if anything ever kicks the bucket - try that on a Danby!

Here's the kegerator fully loaded with 2 1/4's and a 10lb CO2 tank:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
JONNYROTTEN
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Looking at this same fridge.I can only get first pic.Anyone know how this turned out?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
vanbcguy
Recipes 

It turned out fantastic! The only "gotcha" is you need low profile keg couplers. You really can't find a better fridge (well except maybe an actual keg fridge) in terms of cooling power - you can put a warm keg in 'er and she'll pull it down to about 4°C in not much more than an hour and a half or so.

Loaded - I keep the CO2 cylinder behind the kegs these days:

The finished result:

At our new place, my "reserve" fridge on the right, complete with Auber Instruments temperature controller (for the reserve fridge, still using the Silver King's original control on the kegerator)

Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
JONNYROTTEN
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Awsome thanks,
A few questions as Im buying this today.
I called silver king they said it was a bit loud.Im wondering how loud is loud?
does it use alot of juice,being its commercial.
Mine is made specificly for a wendys.Its 25" high.Will a 1/2 barrell with the low profile coupler work.Its cuttin it mighty close.
Do you happen to have the model # Mine is skttr 7fw.
Thanks again

Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
vanbcguy
Recipes 

Loud: Yep, it is noticeably louder than our regular kitchen fridge. I have it sitting on a thick rug which definitely helps - when I first got it we had it on the linoleum in the kitchen, waaay too much sound. It definitely isn't going to sit next to your TV if that's what you're thinking. I DO believe the condenser fan could be changed out for a quieter one - that's where 80% of the noise comes from. The compressor itself isn't particularly loud. I kinda started looking around for alternative condenser fans but it just hasn't been a big enough problem for me to bother as the kegerator lives in our "other" living room as opposed to the "family room" where we spend most of our time.

Power: It costs about $12/month to run. No brainer compared to the cost of buying beer! Absolute PEAK energy use (at startup) is about 8A, so be mindful of what else is plugged in to the circuit. IE don't share with your space heater, and for your computer's sake don't share with it either.

The height works fine, mine is 25" internally as well. The low profile couplers actually don't project past the top of the keg (the rim of the keg is taller than the coupler). Yep, it is tight but I think this is actually the application those low profile couplers were designed for. There are hundreds of thousands of these fridges out there (or their competitors) and the size is common across all of them. 25" high internally, 27" wide externally. I think Perlick saw that a lot of folks needed a solution to fitting a keg in a standard commercial kitchen fridge and designed the couplers accordingly.

Mine is a SKRB27 - similar, but mine is a front breather (meaning it can be completely enclosed, it pulls its fresh air in the front on the right side and exhausts hot air in the front on the left side). The one you are looking at has a rear condenser more like a "normal" fridge - if you ever build it in to a bar it will need to have ventilation in the back. I see it actually has a smaller condenser fan than mine does - yours is using the same fan for the condenser as mine uses for the evaporator inside. My evaporator fan isn't particularly loud, I mean there is a whine for sure, but it isn't anywhere near as loud as my condenser fan. Good chance that one will make less noise.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
JONNYROTTEN
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome!!! Looks like Ill be getting it.Ive heard these fridges are bullet proof and will last forever.Interesting about the perlick low profile couplers. Every website says they need "at least"1" clearence over the keg rim.You say its flush,that was my main concern.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
vanbcguy
Recipes 

Actually just looking and it does project JUST SLIGHTLY. Not enough that it causes a problem though. Here's how mine look:

Kegs are standard height.

Bryn's Beer Review: http://vancruisers.ca/Members/bhughes/beer-review
My Kegerator: http://vancruisers.ca/Members/bhughe...rator-is-alive

Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #28
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The most interesting thing to me about this thread is that you can get your beer canned! That's cool!

Quick Reply