Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Show us your Kegerator
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #3051
mccumath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,048
Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I would like to add more taps after a while, but for right now, going to stick with one. When I decide to add another tap, I am going to find an old vintage red toolbox with a hinged top to run taps from if I keep this fridge. My next project may be a keezer, but we will see. The inside of the fridge is not as deep as I had wanted, and since I use it as a garage fridge, I like to keep other things like water and occasionally soda in there too. May have to build a bottom shelf for other things so I can put more kegs on top of that!

I actually don't insulate the 5" or so of line from the inside of the fridge to the tap. I have heard that some folks do, but so far I have not seen any ill effects from not doing it. Is there a gain from doing so? If there is, I have some left over line insulation from the line inside of the fridge that may help... Any thoughts would be appreciated

__________________
mccumath is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #3052
flabyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dover, MN
Posts: 948
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath
Finished my kegerator about a week ago.

Older Kelvinator fridge with the freezer built into the inside the fridge. Did not want to put a tap too low, so figured I would make my own tower. Looked for an old red toolbox, but could not find one, so I went for the old kerosene can instead. Fabricated a frame out of wood inside the bottom of the kerosene can to mount the wooden base seen in the picture; made it much easier to mount to the top of the fridge. Because of the location of the freezer, had to run pipe insulation from Lowes around the beer distribution line between the freezer portion and the inside wall of the fridge to keep it from freezing. So far, so good. Cut the wire racks so the the keg would fit nicely without sacrificing all of the shelving space (they don't make things like they used to... cant find many fridges with solid metal shelving these days). Need to find some clips to mount the gas/beer lines to the inside wall of the fridge to keep things tidy, but all in due time. Awaiting the temp controller from the E-bay temperature controller build thread (thanks android!), which will just about finish the kegerator.
Looks nice. You just need more taps. Lol. I have three and I am wishing I had more. I love making beer
__________________
flabyboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #3053
DrinkNoH2O
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 556
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Finally broke down and converted my mini beer fridge into a kegerator this weekend... Had batches of a hybrid Blind Pig/Pliny IPA clone and a pumpkin ale ready for the occasion.

Pretty stoked because we're having an Oktoberfest party next weekend and we'll be able to have my homebrews on tap.

Bending the freezer down was no chore at all (had me nervous though). I let the fridge thaw for a couple days and bent it down at room temp - no kinks or anything.

My thermostat cable was very short, so I soldered in a 12 inch extension. The two ball lock kegs fit perfectly as well as a 10 lb. CO2 tank behind them (was debating 5 vs. 10 - just go with 10. It will fit!)

I want to give a big thanks to both Walker and DavidP here on the boards - their posts helped my kegerator conversion go very smoothly.

Here's the final result:



__________________
DrinkNoH2O is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #3054
strumke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 358
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
Finally broke down and converted my mini beer fridge into a kegerator this weekend... Had batches of a hybrid Blind Pig/Pliny IPA clone and a pumpkin ale ready for the occasion.

Pretty stoked because we're having an Oktoberfest party next weekend and we'll be able to have my homebrews on tap.

Bending the freezer down was no chore at all (had me nervous though). I let the fridge thaw for a couple days and bent it down at room temp - no kinks or anything.

My thermostat cable was very short, so I soldered in a 12 inch extension. The two ball lock kegs fit perfectly as well as a 10 lb. CO2 tank behind them (was debating 5 vs. 10 - just go with 10. It will fit!)

I want to give a big thanks to both Walker and DavidP here on the boards - their posts helped my kegerator conversion go very smoothly.

Here's the final result:



Where are the handles from? Are they glass or acrylic?
__________________
strumke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #3055
DrinkNoH2O
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 556
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumke View Post
Where are the handles from? Are they glass or acrylic?
The tap handles are hand blown glass attached to Perlick 525SS faucets.

I bought the tap handles form a booth at the Stone 15th Annv. Beer Fest this year. Here's the guy's website, truly unique work:

http://www.liquidglassco.com/

The look just like nice pieces used for one of my other favorite vices...
__________________
DrinkNoH2O is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #3056
DrinkNoH2O
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 556
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccumath View Post
Finished my kegerator about a week ago.

Older Kelvinator fridge with the freezer built into the inside the fridge. Did not want to put a tap too low, so figured I would make my own tower. Looked for an old red toolbox, but could not find one, so I went for the old kerosene can instead. Fabricated a frame out of wood inside the bottom of the kerosene can to mount the wooden base seen in the picture; made it much easier to mount to the top of the fridge. Because of the location of the freezer, had to run pipe insulation from Lowes around the beer distribution line between the freezer portion and the inside wall of the fridge to keep it from freezing. So far, so good. Cut the wire racks so the the keg would fit nicely without sacrificing all of the shelving space (they don't make things like they used to... cant find many fridges with solid metal shelving these days). Need to find some clips to mount the gas/beer lines to the inside wall of the fridge to keep things tidy, but all in due time. Awaiting the temp controller from the E-bay temperature controller build thread (thanks android!), which will just about finish the kegerator.
Looks good. Why not put the CO2 tank inside the fridge? It looks a lot cleaner and you have plenty of room inside.
__________________
DrinkNoH2O is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #3057
mccumath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,048
Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Takes up valuable space in the fridge. Barely enough room for another keg, so it would be tough to get keg + bottle in there. Next build will have to be a keezer for sure.

__________________
Put it all in the primary, and let the BeerGods sort it out
mccumath is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #3058
ThatOneGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 60
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default



Nothing special yet, but I just got it and I am excited. Plan to add one or 2 more taps and some chalkboard paint on the wall behind it to know whats on tap. Was thinking about making my own wooden handles too.
__________________
ThatOneGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #3059
frieed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Draper, ut
Posts: 7
Default

I keep looking at all of the larger projects and keep wondering "Who is going to be the first to build a keezer into an old upright piano?"

__________________
frieed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #3060
shroomzofdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 609
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieed View Post
I keep looking at all of the larger projects and keep wondering "Who is going to be the first to build a keezer into an old upright piano?"
Others have thought about it, doesn't look like it got completed:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/upri...erator-203081/
__________________
Mike D

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons
shroomzofdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show me yours. Orfy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 19 03-28-2011 02:56 AM
Convert Conventional Kegerator to Cornelius Kegerator aschafer324 Bottling/Kegging 3 07-23-2009 11:12 PM
Ease of Going from Sanke Kegerator to Homebrew Kegerator polamalu43 Bottling/Kegging 6 04-28-2008 11:52 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS