Scored at yard sale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btamacker

Reaction score
Was at a yard sale with SWMBO and came across two pin lock kegs. One was tagged for Coca Cola, and the other was Dr. Pepper. I asked the guy what he wanted for them, he told me to give him a $20 bill and take them home. :rockin: Needless to say, I am stoked and looking forward to kegging in the near future. Just need to get the CO2 tank, regulator, Kegerator, and clean the heck out of these old kegs! Any advice on the best method to clean these kegs? What are your thoughts on changing them from pin lock to ball lock? Thanks in advance!:mug:

Hot water and Oxyclean. Soak them overnight. Then rinse them well the next day. I like to store them, filed with StarSan after that.

Alas you could never be able to get them clean. Send them to me and I recycle them for $10.

Nice find!

As for trying to change them from pin lock to ball lock... I'd say you'd be much better served just assembling your beer lines with 1/4" swivel nuts and threaded disconnects. That way you can easily switch between ball and pin lock kegs. There's not really anything wrong with pin locks and I'm guessing it would end up being a huge head ache trying to find the right threadings/fittings ect to do a conversion.

Swivel assembly.

Threaded Disconnect.

I second the hot water and oxyclean over night. Just cleaned up 2 kegs, 2 growlers and a glass carboy using that method. They all came out beautiful especially the growlers which had dried yeast stuck to the inside from making starters.

Back