Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Is it possible to carbonate in oak barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
AsianMead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is it possible to carbonate in oak barrel?

I have 5L american oak barrel and I think I will try to carb my mead ale in the oak barrel by add the primming sugar for the carbonation.
Do you think the oak barrel can keep the CO2 inside the barrel?
I would like to try but not sure that the CO2 will escape or not, anyone has done this before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm thinking it would be difficult to get a tight enough seal to prevent CO2 from leaking out.

Primary: Empty :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Pumpkin Saison, Amber Ale
Planned: Scottish Strong Ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Wine2Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They generally aren't made to hold that kind of pressure. That's why a winemaker will put an airlock on barrels when a nearby barrel is going through malolactic, just in case the culture kicks off in its neighbor. The resulting pressure in a stoppered barrel can be quite a mess.
C02 is commonly used to top off a barrel that cannot be topped off with wine, just to reduce oxidation, but not to create pressure, just displace the air.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the beer will naturally take about 1 volume of CO2 at room temperature without being pressurized. you can get about 1.7-1.8 volumes without pressurizing (<1psi) by chilling the keg down to near freezing. just be careful that you dont actually freeze it though, wood casks dont like frozen liquids inside. most likely you wont get anything more than 1-2 psi, if that.

Quick Reply