Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Overcarbed My Keg
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Buzz_Armstrong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Overcarbed My Keg

I cranked it up and shook the heck out of it, and now it's pouring glasses of pure foam. How can I get the carbonation back down to a normal level?

__________________

--------------------------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Wit
Primary 2: Chocolate Bock
Secondary 1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Mexican Cerveza Ale, Amber Ale, ApfelWein
Bottled: just a few assorted items remain (BIG SAD FACE)

Buzz_Armstrong is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,316
Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default

How long has it been sitting, without being shaken? Sometimes it's fine after it sits for a while, and it's not overcarbed. Kind of like soda- shake it and it's foamy but after it sits for a while it's ok. What temperature is it? Warming it up a bit, and pulling the pressure relief valve will get rid of some excess co2.

If it's foaming, though, it's not necessarily overcarbed, that's why I'm asking the questions. I'm not trying to give you a hard time! What pressure/temperature/procedure have you used so far?

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sketerbuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 388
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

just take it off the c02 and pull the relief valve every couple of hours it will be fine.

__________________
sketerbuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
Buzz_Armstrong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

It's at around 40 degrees, maybe a bit cooler. I've run two other kegs through this setup recently and the only difference was the high pressure shake-up technique. By the way, it worked awesome! It went from flat to foamy in just a few minutes. It's been sitting for a couple of days now and still poured pretty foamy. It settled a lot faster today but I still ended-up with 3/4 a glass of beer when it settled down.

I dont mind the questions buddy, just looking to get this keg right and start sharing with the neighbors!

Thanks.

__________________

--------------------------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Wit
Primary 2: Chocolate Bock
Secondary 1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Mexican Cerveza Ale, Amber Ale, ApfelWein
Bottled: just a few assorted items remain (BIG SAD FACE)

Buzz_Armstrong is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,316
Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
It's at around 40 degrees, maybe a bit cooler. I've run two other kegs through this setup recently and the only difference was the high pressure shake-up technique. By the way, it worked awesome! It went from flat to foamy in just a few minutes. It's been sitting for a couple of days now and still poured pretty foamy. It settled a lot faster today but I still ended-up with 3/4 a glass of beer when it settled down.

I dont mind the questions buddy, just looking to get this keg right and start sharing with the neighbors!

Thanks.
Are you calling me "buddy?". I hope so- that's awesome. Not too many guys call me that. One guy called me "dude" which was kinda cool.

Well, if it's pouring foamy, there are a couple of things you can do. As Sketerbuck said, you can pull the pressure relief valve every so often, and that will help. Do you have it on the gas now? If you do, what pressure? Also, how long are your serving lines?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,117
Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
I dont mind the questions buddy, just looking to get this keg right and start sharing with the neighbors!
hilarious...

do you happen to have a shorter line on this keg than your others?
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller
android is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,722
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

this is why i don't like the high pressure shakign method.

If you have a couple kegs on hand, there is no need to rush carbing, and you get a better product.

I like to do 30psi for 2 days then back it down to serving pressure for a week.

__________________
Arkador is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,220
Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
I dont mind the questions buddy...
Um...you've never met our den mother in person have you.

Loosen your lid. Let the beer sit for 24 hours and the re-fasten the lid and test.

You just need to knock some C02 out of that beer.
__________________

*******
Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Buzz_Armstrong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Are you calling me "buddy?". I hope so- that's awesome. Not too many guys call me that. One guy called me "dude" which was kinda cool.

Well, if it's pouring foamy, there are a couple of things you can do. As Sketerbuck said, you can pull the pressure relief valve every so often, and that will help. Do you have it on the gas now? If you do, what pressure? Also, how long are your serving lines?
I started to use "bro" but I remembered that not all Red Wings fans are dudes. "Hey Buddy" is my unisex greeting for all humans, as it makes no assumptions about their view of themselves.

ANYWAY, homie... I've never actually used a measuring tape on the hoses. I asked my wife how long she thought my serving line was and she just laughed at me and said "trust me, its WAY too short". I'll just have to measure it myself later, becuase she's just making jokes about ID/OD and flexibility now... not very helpful.
__________________

--------------------------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Wit
Primary 2: Chocolate Bock
Secondary 1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Mexican Cerveza Ale, Amber Ale, ApfelWein
Bottled: just a few assorted items remain (BIG SAD FACE)

Buzz_Armstrong is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,316
Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Armstrong View Post
I started to use "bro" but I remembered that not all Red Wings fans are dudes. "Hey Buddy" is my unisex greeting for all humans, as it makes no assumptions about their view of themselves.

ANYWAY, homie... I've never actually used a measuring tape on the hoses. I asked my wife how long she thought my serving line was and she just laughed at me and said "trust me, its WAY too short". I'll just have to measure it myself later, becuase she's just making jokes about ID/OD and flexibility now... not very helpful.
Now, that's funny right there.

I'm sorry to hear about your short hose troubles, though. If it's over 6 feet long, then you're probably overcarbed and releasing the pressure will fix it. Just like shaking a can of soda, once the beer settles down a bit, it'll be better. My serving lines are about 8 feet long. I keep my beer at 11-12 psi, and it dispenses perfectly. I had 6 feet long lines at the beginning, but did get a little foaming after 1/2 the keg was gone, so I went with longer lines.

If your other kegs dispense ok, then it's probably best to just assume this one is overcarbed, though.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overcarbed keg pingi Bottling/Kegging 5 04-21-2009 06:14 PM
Oops ! Overcarbed hammer one Bottling/Kegging 3 01-13-2009 02:43 PM
Overcarbed dataz722 Bottling/Kegging 4 07-30-2008 01:28 AM
Overcarbed Keg, will it get better? ScoutMan Bottling/Kegging 3 11-19-2007 12:59 AM
Hypothetical overcarbed keg clayof2day Bottling/Kegging 11 11-22-2006 05:03 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS