Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need Bottle Bomb Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Mvemjsun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need Bottle Bomb Advice

I just bottled a ~2.75 gal batch of beer, but I accidentally used 5 gal worth of priming sugar (5.2 oz to be precise). I'm guessing I'm going to have to vent these guys in order to keep them from exploding. Does anyone have advice on how to go about doing this?? Im specifically looking for how many times I will need to vent (once... more??) and what day I should do this? I am day 2 post bottling, my plan was to vent once on day 3, and then maybe re-vent on day 8???

Does anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

No one can give you a precise schedule for venting. You are dealing with what basically amount to explosives and you need to do whatever lets you sleep at night. I think your schedule sounds like somewhere to start, just remember to take safety precautions when opening the first one to check carbonation levels. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
deadscott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would probably check one after about four days and gauge from that when I needed to check the next one. When you get the carbonation you want pop them in the fridge to stop fermentation or the yeast will keep going until they explode. I would open it outside and wear a glove. I had a batch that I had to toss after I opened the first one. It exploded and left me holding glass shards. How I did not get cut amazes me. You may also want to do a little research on the yeastyou used. Depending on it's fermentation rate, they may carb fast.

Quick Reply