Kegs Are Testing My Nerves!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I recently bought a corny that had a regular beer out QD and a 11 point star gas in QD. No big deal right? Wrong. Well, since I didn't have the right wrench to get the 11 point off, I used channel locks which stripped the crap out of it. I went to my LHBS to buy another gas in QD and they gave me a beer out one. I went back today to exchange it for the right one and they gave me a different looking beer out one!

I guess it was my mistake b/c when I asked him if he got me the right one, he said yes. I assumed b/c he works at a Home Brewing Store, he would know what he was doing. Wrong again! Man, I really wonder about people sometimes.

Needless to say, I have to take the 30 minute trip again to the LHBS.

Sigh.

For future reference unless you have an unusual keg, those are 12 point "stars" and a 7/8" box end wrench fits them perfectly.

38-Boxend.jpg

For future reference unless you have an unusual keg, those are 12 point "stars" and a 7/8" box end wrench fits them perfectly.

38-Boxend.jpg

Whoops, my bad. Yeah, I'm using a 7/8 socket and it doesn't fit it! That was my main thing. I just want a universal tool to fit on all of my kegs.

Thanks for the info.
J

I wished mine all were the same! I have some 12 point stars, some 11/16", some 7/8". It's a pain- I had to buy more deep sockets, and then a box wrench. But once you have them, cleaning those kegs is a piece of cake!

I wished mine all were the same! I have some 12 point stars, some 11/16", some 7/8". It's a pain- I had to buy more deep sockets, and then a box wrench. But once you have them, cleaning those kegs is a piece of cake!

That's what I'm saying. It kinda sucks for me b/c I have firestone and cornies, so sometimes it's a puzzle.

That's what I'm saying. It kinda sucks for me b/c I have firestone and cornies, so sometimes it's a puzzle.

Oh, yes- I know what you mean! And then, to have two different sizes on the same keg is weird! I have a drawer just for my deep sockets and keg wrenches.

For Christmas, like many women, I am always happy to get an unusually sized deep socket or box wrench.

Oh, yes- I know what you mean! And then, to have two different sizes on the same keg is weird! I have a drawer just for my deep sockets and keg wrenches.

For Christmas, like many women, I am always happy to get an unusually sized deep socket or box wrench.

I knew some one else felt my pain. Hell, now I know what I'm getting my girlfriend for christmas.:D

Back