Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator. Build it, or buy it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
chris41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The Beermeister is a customized Danby....

I just bought a Danby from Walmart.com and had it shipped to the store for free for $450. It's the big Danby with the digital control and stainless front. The nice thing is it comes with a 5 gallon CO2 (vs a 2.5 tank by Nostalgia or Kegco) and has a removable plug to run your gas line outside. Most of the negative reviews online seem to be with older units but I don't have any solid evidence the company addressed certain issues like temp control. Mine is plenty cold and is extremely quiet.

I bought a new dual tap stainless tower with Perlick faucets, a new Taprite regulator (easy to adjust w/o a screwdriver) and I'm awaiting some Tygon Silver tubing to eliminate any plastic off taste. Basically, I just doubled the price....

The most difficult part of the entire process is getting a unit damage free during shipping. Mine had a small dent in the back (nobody sees it). I think the unit is gorgeous.

Weigh your options. If you're OK with a single tap tower, the Danby is a bargain (and you can always upgrade later). Keep in mind how inconvenient dealing with inspecting your unit off a truck versus picking it up from a local Walmart who will give you no hassles with exchanging or returning. And the shipping is free (to your local store).

Last edited by chris41; 03-31-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I decided to go the build route. I got an older refrigerator on Craigslist, which I wanted, for 200. I got a conversion kit with 2 ball lock kegs, 2 perlick 575s, 2 regulators, 5lb co2, and all the tubing and hardware from KegCowboy for 440 shipped. Check out KegCowboy they usually have discount codes on this forum as well. I like the idea of having done everything myself.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I suggest building. Not only is it fun and a bit cheaper, but allows you to fully customize your kegerator. One of my favorite parts about using a fridge rather than a freezer (keezer) is the ability to store hops in the freezer. Here's what I did for my 3 tap kegerator:

- Fridge off of Craigslist for $60
- 3 Perlick SS combos from Birdman Brewing for $180 ($60 per)
- 3 gas-in and 3 liquid-out disconnects from MoreBeer (pin lock) for $36 ($5.99 per)
- 18' of 3/16" beverage line from MoreBeer for $11.70
- 16' of 5/16" gas line from MoreBeer for $9.60
- Dual gauge CO2 regulator from MoreBeer for $45
- 3-way gas manifold from MoreBeer for $37.50
- 10 lb reconditioned CO2 tank from Beverage Elements for $74 (after shipping)
- 2 10 packs of stainless hose clamps from Home Depot for $12 ($6 per)

I buy my kegs from Keg Connection for about $35 (again, I'm a pin lock guy) since they offer $7.95 shipping.

MoreBeer offers free shipping on orders over $59, so the only shipping charges I didn't add in are those from Birdman Brewing, which I believe was close to $10. The total for my entire 3 tap kegerator build was just under $500. All you need is a good hole saw ($12 or so) and a level, if you want your taps even. Once my holes were drilled, the entire build took me about 3 hours... super easy, and the kegerator is awesome!

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I personally didn't enjoy building mine, but I'm glad I did. The main reason being I don't know of any kegerators out there you can buy that have 5 taps. If you do build, I suggest getting a freezer that can hold at least 2 more than you'll have on tap, and get a CO2 manifold that has extra ports. That way you can have kegs chilled and carbed and ready to go when one kicks it.

Also you can add extra taps in you ever want. I started with 5, but I'm adding a 6th this week, and I plan on adding a 7th later in the year.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck99 View Post
I want to build one someday too, but just wanted something I didn't have to worry about screwing up for my first time kegging. I bought a Beer Meister 2-tap and been using it a little over a month now. Yes, you pay a little more for this than say a Danby or Nostalgia unit, but you know what...you get what you pay for!!! It's a great unit! I also paid a little more for the stainless steel to match the kitchen appliances.

I have the digital display set @ 32F, comes out of the tap @ 34F. Love it! It comes with a tower cooling fan installed so the beer stays cold in the tubing. They also have a 3-tap model. It came with everything you need (hoses, quick connects, 5lb co2 tank, dual gauge regulator, drip tray, top rail for glasses, and 2 corny kegs)! Even the 2-tap model can hold 3 corny kegs.

Here's the model I bought - http://beermeisters.com/product/dual...-kegs-included
Thanks, I will be checking beermeisters out for sure!

Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck99 View Post
It comes with a tower cooling fan installed so the beer stays cold in the tubing.
I don't see anywhere that lists the tower fan..

Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #17
SkyZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris41 View Post
The Beermeister is a customized Danby....

I just bought a Danby from Walmart.com and had it shipped to the store for free for $450. It's the big Danby with the digital control and stainless front. The nice thing is it comes with a 5 gallon CO2 (vs a 2.5 tank by Nostalgia or Kegco) and has a removable plug to run your gas line outside. Most of the negative reviews online seem to be with older units but I don't have any solid evidence the company addressed certain issues like temp control. Mine is plenty cold and is extremely quiet.

I bought a new dual tap stainless tower with Perlick faucets, a new Taprite regulator (easy to adjust w/o a screwdriver) and I'm awaiting some Tygon Silver tubing to eliminate any plastic off taste. Basically, I just doubled the price....

The most difficult part of the entire process is getting a unit damage free during shipping. Mine had a small dent in the back (nobody sees it). I think the unit is gorgeous.

Weigh your options. If you're OK with a single tap tower, the Danby is a bargain (and you can always upgrade later). Keep in mind how inconvenient dealing with inspecting your unit off a truck versus picking it up from a local Walmart who will give you no hassles with exchanging or returning. And the shipping is free (to your local store).
Is this the Danby you got? Link

Could you link me to the dual tap tower with Perlicks? Did it fit alright without any issues?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
BirdmanBrewingCo
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyZero View Post
Is this the Danby you got? Link

Could you link me to the dual tap tower with Perlicks? Did it fit alright without any issues?
Here is the link to our double ss tower with Perlicks. Very competitively priced. Thanks for considering us.

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/premiu...525ss-faucets/

www.birdmanbrewing.com
401-400-BREW (2739)

Facebook BirdmanBrewingCompany

BeerSmith 2.1 just $21.89 every day!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #19
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Damn, that 5.8 Danby is the same as the beermeisters but with a single tap it looks like, that could actually save me some money even with the purchase of a new tower!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #20
DerekJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I spent a lot of time considering the same questions. It came down to this for me. If you are satisfied with a small kegerator, buy it new. If you can find one used that is big enough for you, buy it. If you want a decently sized one that has several taps and space to store more kegs for carbing, build it. Unless you have a few grand to blow away.

Quick Reply