Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer temperature offset (hysteresis)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default Keezer temperature offset (hysteresis)

I had a keezer with Ranco that I set to have a 5 degree offset from the temperature setting. It ran find that way but that's quite a swing. I'm aware of the dangers of short cycling a compressor but at 5 degrees it didn't seem to operate that much so I set it to a 3 degree offset.

Shortly after setting it the keezer failed. It seemed to be a loss of coolant because the compressor would still run but the keezer wouldn't cool. I'm not sure that it was a result of short cycling but I don't want to ruin another keezer the same way.

What do you guys set your keezers for? Anyone know the symptoms of a short cycle failure?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can run the low offset as long as you run the probe in a small buffer like a white labs tube with water in it. You just don't want the high offset constantly triggered by a quick lid opening event.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Any freezer used as a keezer will cycle less than it would as a freezer, so short cycling isn't a real concern. One good idea is to keep the temperature probe at the bottom to minimize the impact of opening the lid. I run my Ranco at 2C with a 1C offset and it cycles about 1/4 as often as the freezer next to it.

Sounds like you have a leak.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply