keeping Keezer outside -concerns and questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I just recently got my keezer completed. I have a huge covered porch on my place. I think it would be cool to keep the keezer out on the porch. I know it's not something I can do in the winter but are there any issues keeping it out there for the summer? There is no chance of any water getting to it in case that was a concern.

I'm assuming most freezers are insulated well enough that it would be about the same as keeping it in a garage (people with more knowledge on their insulation & ability to maintain temps in outdoor ambient temps please chime in).

My folks have an extra chest freezer (for food) on one of their covered porches and I don't think they have any humidity/frosting issues or additional energy usage in hotter months. You're probably just fine unless its black and in direct sun for half the day.

Hi

The "common wisdom" is that stuff like freezers will last for about half as long outside as they will inside.

Bob

I have mine on my patio, but I live in So Cal so the heat/cold isnt such a worry. I am more concerned with hygene. do i need to do anything to make sure the faucet tips are saitary? I've only had it there a couple weeks so I have been squirting starsans up there every couple days.

The starsan is a good idea. Also, many supply places sell little plastic covers that slide over the end of your faucets to keep dirt out. Some even have a little brush fitting on the end that goes up the faucet's wazoo to give a little scrub each time you pull it out.

I am wishing it was So Cal temps around here right now. I am about done with winter, and I have to keep an eye on my kegerator in the garage so the beer lines don't freeze.

My biggest concern is hygiene. I personally would be concerned with animals. The sweet smell of the taps may attract animals like racoons. You don't want to have them licking your spouts and spreading some kind of disease.

My chest freezer (not converted into a kegerator), stays in my garage and does just fine in this Texas heat. My inlaws also have a chest freezer in Baton Rouge that they keep in the garage. They've had it for at least 10 years with no problems.

Back